iPod Touch 2G thinks it's an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Guzzie, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Guzzie macrumors newbie

Sometimes when I plug in my new iPod Touch 16 GB (Second Gen with volume controls on the side) it will show up in iTunes as an iPhone as opposed to an iPod touch. I noticed it and thought it was pretty weird, so I was curious and I successfully downloaded and installed Shazam (which is an iPhone only application). Obviously it doesn't function too well because it requires a microphone and the iPod touch lacks a built in hw mic. Anyways I haven't done anything really strange with the thing, and I wondered if this information might be of any use to anyone trying to jailbreak or otherwise modify the 2g touch.

Ask me anything.

2. manuminhas macrumors newbie

OMG THEY GAVE YOU AN IPHONE BY ACCIDENT THAT HAS BEEN UNLOCKED ALREADY :OOOOOO
    TRY INSERTING SIM CARD

lol jk

weird problem

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Hmm... well I'm surprised Shazam doesn't work with the 2G iPod touch since the new the new headphones have a built in voice recorder.

And if this isn't too much of a problem then don't worry about it.
    Care to post any screen shots?

4. Guzzie thread starter macrumors newbie

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Really?!
    So now they have 3 different pairs of headphones?
    Stock, Mic/remote, and In Ear?
    It will be 4 if they still have the old In Ear headphones.
    I think that might be in the earlier shipments, because the new headphones aren't even available on online Apple site so I think they will be the new stock headphones soon.