[iPod Touch 2G] Various WiFi Problems...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gamesguru, Nov 28, 2008.

1. gamesguru macrumors newbie

I have the iPod Touch 2G with 2.1.1 installed. I noticed this problem about 5 days ago and I do not know what has caused it or how to correct it, so thanks for any help that I get.

I can best describe it as a temporary failure of WiFi. I experience the following problems:

1) After using AIM for a couple of minutes, I stop receiving instant messages despite the fact that my friends are still sending me instant messages. I am still able to send them and everything works fine for a few minutes in to the conversations. But after the client has been open for a few minutes, I run into these problems.
    If I close the AIM app and reopen it, I get all the messages that I failed to receive due to lag, and it I receive new messages for another 2 or so minutes before it stops receiving them again.

2) After selecting a YouTube video, it will load approximately 30%-50% of the video at an acceptable speed, then stop loading all together. This happens no matter how many times I view a video, and it happens with all videos.

3) Applications will stop downloading before they are finish and prompt me with an error that the iTunes store is unavailable. After retrying the download a few times, it works.

I do not think I have made any changes to my iPod or to my router, so I have no idea what is causing this, but it is very frustrating. I would appreciate help.

Thanks in advance!

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Seems like your WiFi is a little iffy. First of all, download and install 2.2. If that doesn't solve your problem, maybe your wifi chip in you ipod is damaged. That being the case, there's nothing you can do, except go to an apple store and try to yours swapped out.

3. gamesguru thread starter macrumors newbie

1) It worked fine with 2.1.1 for about a week, so it can't be the firmware, unless apple is intentionally trying to force us to update. Also, I don't want to update at this time.

2) As I said, it worked fine for about a week and no physical damage was done to it, so I doubt that it is the WiFi chip. If it is, I'm still under warrenty and can get it replaced. But that is a hassle.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

In a week, a user can do a lot to his or her iPod. The newest firmware is generally the most stable, and I would always recommend upgrading.

Have you tried turning the iPod off and on again? (Hold the power for about six seconds, then slide the power off.)

5. gamesguru thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd rather not upgrade at this time.

Yes I've tried powering it off, I've also tried reconnecting to my WiFi. Neither work. Thanks for the suggestion though

Is anyone else having this problem? Or am I alone?

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It honestly would be a great idea to upgrade. There's been so many topics about wi fi problems and the 2.2 update seems to have fixed the vast majority of them. If it's still faulty after the update, then get it fixed/replaced. The first thing Apple tries when they have it is to put on the latest firmware to see if that fixes things. If it does, you might feel like a bit of a fool when you could have done it yourself and saved a lot of trouble.

7. tucker61 macrumors regular

Could router be problem ?

Have you tried reseting your router?

8. gamesguru thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to upgrade, and it was relatively painless. But I still have this problem.

Yet again, the simplest of solutions works. I really don't know what was wrong with my router, but after the restart it my iTouch is working like normal again. Which is strange, because I swear I've reset my router many times already when I've had this problem and it has gone unresolved. In any event, anyone experiencing this problem should just restart their router. Thanks.

Peace.