Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobthefroggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Are there any experts out there (who has played with both devices extensively) who are willing to do a DETAILED compare and contrast between the two devices?

Things like pricing, capacitity, dimensions, and obvious differences (like calling) are NOT the focus of this thread

I am interested in similarities and differences in FEATURES & FUNCTIONALITIES.....

i.e. things like these:
What features do they both have?
iphone can do XXX but ipod touch cannot (vice versa).

a table format displaying the comparisions would be great guys~ rather than one sentence postings outlining one difference.....make it difficult to summarize after a while....'

thanx~

Springer23

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
hmm the main big diffrence is the iphone has a microphone and ovs the phone side..apart from that........... there the same product!!!

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
iPhone has a better and louder speaker, feels better in your hand because of the added thickness, and looks better than the iPod touch.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Touch is thinner. sleeker and better looking.

Function wise - the iPhone has a camera, GPS and a phone. Other than that they are the same.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
iPhone has a better and louder speaker, feels better in your hand because of the added thickness, and looks better than the iPod touch.

I guess I would have to ask:

1) Have you actually heard the iPod touch 2nd gen speaker? Compared to an iPhone 3G in an Apple Store on Friday, I would say when I listened they were about dead even in loudness and quality.

2) Not sure what thickness has to do with anything as most people - considering the cost - either get a complete case to protect it or an InvisibleShield/BodyArmor type product. The iPT 2nd gen is sleeker, and thinner, and that's a big thing for most people that put form over function.

3) "looks better than the iPod touch" in reference to an iPhone to iPT comparison is pure personal opinion, 100%. While I personally prefer a black anodized aluminum "look" I think the iPT 2nd generation looks pretty much exactly the same as an iPhone from the front. The screen's effectively the same, looks the same, works the same, has the same capabilities, etc. Also, considering the Bluetooth chip "hidden" in the iPT 2nd gen, we'l soon see it activated by a firmware update at some point opening up a whole world of better GPS capabilities, also.

Sooo...

Considering I already have a phone, considering the iPT 2nd gen has far longer battery life for audio playback (my primary reason to get one) than the iPhone 3G, and considering the price has come down substantially without getting locked up into some contract because of the phone capabilities, I'd say the iPT 2nd gen is a big winner. And soon enough we'll see Skype on the iPT or something that can easily do VoIP since we now have full mic input capabilities.

If you need a real phone, get the iPhone 3G. If the phone capability isn't necessary, then the iPT 2nd gen is the winner.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Please look at my sig.

I can't believe you actually don't know which you want. They're two totally different markets.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Ten things the iPod Touch has that the iPhone doesn't, and Visa Versa.

I compiled a list before I ordered the new Touch to rationalize buying it:​

1. Nike+ built-in.
2. Thinner.
3. It can play audio 50% longer than the iPhone on one charge (36 to the iPhone's 24hrs)
4. It's lighter.
5. It will work with the volume controls on Apple's new stereo headset.
6. You don't have to sign up for a 2 year contract (a minimum of $1,440 + taxes with the cheapest plan)
7. If you double-click the home button and nothing is playing on the Touch it will still pop up on-screen controls (the iPhone goes to the iPod app if nothing is playing).
8. You can buy the iPod Touch on Apple's site and get free shipping (Apple only sells iPhones in stores).
9. The iPod Touch doesn't pop up a "not compatible" message when you hook up an iPod accessory.
10. The backplate looks totally sexy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

And Here is a List for the iPhone 3G that I just made up:​

1. Works as a cell phone (extra sensor for proximity, SMS/Phone apps, and speaker for holding it to your ear).
2. Has 3G/EDGE data transfer capabilities.
3. iPhone users don't need to pay for firmware updates (ever).
4. The microphone is built-in.
5. The bottom speaker is better (louder, better quality).
6. It has a 2MP camera.
7. It has built-in GPS.
8. The plastic back is less prone to scratching, feels much warmer to the touch, and comes in two colors.
9. It gets better battery life for video playback (7hrs to the Touch's 6).
10. It has Bluetooth built-in (and actually active).

Hope this helps!

Jobthefroggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Thank you all for your posts!!

a couple more questions:

what about the "cloud" thing on itunes, and all those hundreds of new games that just debuted in the newest keynote speech, are all of these available to both devices?

as wll, can both of them view microsoft office and pdf files?

Jobthefroggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
what about the "cloud" thing on itunes, and all those hundreds of new games that just debuted in the newest keynote speech, are all of these available to both devices?

as wll, can both of them view microsoft office and pdf files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.