Ipod touch 2G Vs. Ipod touch 3-4-5G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by siddharta1979, Mar 24, 2011.

1. siddharta1979 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    So my Itouch got fried because water got inside. I can get a replacement for 129$ or a new one for around 100$ more (little less if refurbished). I gave for granted that for such a little difference buying the new one would make more sense but... am I right?
    I don't need the Itouch for more than: running with the nike+, listening to music, using the wi-fi for email and some surfing, using some app. No gaming, no need for pictures, neither face to face chat. What do you suggest? Is there such a huge difference between the 2nd generation and the newer versions?

Thanks!

2. traxxasthomas macrumors member

Yes, much faster, retina display, camra, multitasking, ect,

A.K.A Get one

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Meh.. Nothing really significant in my opinion. I have an iPod Touch 2G and it's perfectly great and I'm happy with it. The iPod's camera means nothing to me as it's horrible for taking pictures. (I have an expensive digital camera anyways) and I'm perfectly fine waiting a few extra seconds for a web page to load. As for the iOS features. You could always get them by jailbreaking, so it's not that big of a deal.

4. siddharta1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm not interested in the camera. If the speed just applies to the loading of the webpages not a problem either, I was perfectly fine until 1 month ago. I don't play games, which I guess is where I'd see the better performances.
    70$ is not a big difference, but...

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

The only problem I found is that iOS 4 really slowed down my iPod Touch 2G. It's a lot slower than before and it tends to lag a lot. If you could somehow downgrade to version 3.1.3 then it would be perfect. I loved 3.1.3 and my iPod ran great on it. It's really up to you though. I own an iPhone 4 also, and I do use my iPod Touch a lot more at home and the speed difference doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer browsing on my iPod Touch. Then I'm not killing my iPhone battery.

6. Juramentado macrumors newbie

I inheirited a 32GB 3G Touch and was previously using the latest 8GB "3G" (actually 2G since it's an A1288) that was re-released, and two things I noted: with the same apps, the 3G is really zippier in terms of responsiveness, both with the same apps and 4.2.1. The other thing that I enjoy is the app-switching.

Other than that, the only additional functionality you can gain is to move up to the 4G version with the cameras and the improved display. Is it worth the money? To me, not really. I have an iPad if I really want to watch something, and I have dedicated cameras that do a better job than whatever you can stick inside an iPod/iPhone. :)

7. aNYthing24 macrumors member

At this point, I'd wait it out for the 5G if possible. It'll have the A5 chip which will make gaming a lot better.