iPod touch 2G won't charge with some speakers?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Master Debater, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Master Debater macrumors member

I'm considering getting a 2G Touch but I just found out that it won't charge with some speakers! I have a Kensington SX2000 Dock/Speaker, which I got before the iPod touch was released. Does anyone know if a 2G Touch will charge with this speaker? Is there some sort of list of (in)compatible speakers I don't know about?

2. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

There is no list that I know of but thats a good idea. *hint hint* :D

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Same issue with the iPhone 3G, due to Apple discontinuing charging over the FIrewire pins in the 30 pin connector. In general, there is no way to tell, unless it is specifically indicated on the box.

One thing I was looking for was something that said the old 3G iPod was NOT supported, since that iPod only charged via Firewire. if it isn't supported, then it MIGHT be a clue that it charges over USB.

Best bet is to check with the manufacturer. I couldn't find anything on Kensington's web site.

4. Master Debater thread starter macrumors member

So it isn't a certain type of dock that isn't compatible with the iPod? What kind of specifications on the dock will work with it? I recall reading one person said that their speaker dock worked with the new touches.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The issue is that the dock connector could charge through Firewire or USB. Before the iPhone 3G and 2G touch, all iPods used firewire for charging, so most docks used Firewire.

You can't tell by looking the connector if it will charge via USB or Firewire pins. You have to check with the manufacturer...

Apple has planned to discontinue Firewire charging for several years, and has been warning accessory makers that this would be coming soon. The iPhone 3G and 2G iPod Touch are the first iPods with dock connectors that do not support Firewire charging.

What that means is that MOST charging accessories support Firewire charging for the most compatibility - until now. I suspect you will rapidly see them switch over to USB charging, because it supports the new iPods and only drops support for the 3G iPod.

I did a little more research and find this old review:

http://dev.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/kensington-sx2000-speakers-with-universal-dock/

It talks about 3G iPod compatibility (which REQUIRES firewire charging), so I suspect the speakers will NOT charge the iPhone 3G or 2G iPod Touch. It also shows a special adapter to charge the old Shuffle, which needed USB. The adapter looks like one Belkin used to make that converted Firewire charging into USB.

If I had to guess, I would say that this is not going to charge the 2G iPod touch...

6. Master Debater thread starter macrumors member

This is a terrible idea on Apple's part. They are basically making thousands of accessories obsolete. And for what benefit? Looks like I'm gonna need to get new speakers...