iPod Touch 2G wont work w/ car stereo

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by azcardsfan, Sep 16, 2008.

1. azcardsfan macrumors member

My car stereo has an ipod connector that I used on the last 2 generations of the ipod nano (not the new one). I just bought the iPod touch 2G and found out it doesn't work with my car. This sucks! Do you think apple will come out with an update so it will work?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Does it not work, or just not charge? If that is the case, you need to invest in a Firewire Power to USB Power Adapter ($40) or see if they have another version of the cable for you.

TEG

3. azcardsfan thread starter macrumors member

With the nano it would play music on the car stereo, display the song that was playing on the stereo, let me navigate thru the songs on the stereo, all while charging the ipod.

With the touch, it doesnt play music at all on the stereo. On the touch it says that its not a compatible ipod charging accessory.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

curious...

Funny, Steve didn't mention that during the keynote.... Hell, I just might hold onto my 1G after all...

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

He said it was a car adapter. Would existing car chargers/FM transmitters use firewire to charge? I wonder/suspect this is Apple making all previous accessories unusable so we'll have to buy new ones.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They actually use 12V, the same as the Car and Firewire, so they don't need to change the voltage or limit the amperage.

TEG

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So your answer is 'yes'?

8. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

From what I've been reading the existing transmitters don't work with the new touch, except for the Itrip Autopilot which was made for the iphone.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. Car companies are cheap, so if they don't need the extra hardware to modify the voltage, they aren't going to add it.

TEG