Ipod Touch 2gen has GPS chip??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 2gen, Feb 28, 2009.

1. 2gen macrumors newbie

it has been concerned than ipod touch has NO GPS chips in it.

But recently I heard Ipod touch 2Gen has gps.

Is that true?

"G-map", a navigation application which we can buy in the appstore, says

it works on also ipod touch 2gen without Wifi connection!

and i heard "xGPS" from cydia which works on jailbreaked ipod touch 2gen can locate you exactly without wifi connection.

is that true? Does anybody use g-map or xgps on your ipod touch 2gen?

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Well, the application could still operate as an offline repository of digital maps that you could manually browse or search, even if it didn't offer any real-time location or turn-by-turn information at all. In that respect, the developer wouldn't be lying about it working on an iPod touch, even if that was the only thing it allowed you to do on that platform.

That said, the iPod touch does provide approximate real-time location services that work by identifying the known Wi-Fi hotspots it detects in range. There's no reason in principle why navigation apps couldn't work with that data, except that it would provide very sketchy coverage, especially when you're in less densely populated areas.

I believe I've read that the xGPS software can work with unauthorized accessories, such as headless GPS receivers, through the dock port to provide real-time location data.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Currently the dock is not usable by applications. There is no GPS chip in the iPod Touch 2G.

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

It's true that the dock is not usable by official App Store applications. (But certain dock accessories for which Apple has exposed an authorized API can be used such as, recently, microphone adaptors or video output...)

The dock certainly has been used by several jailbroken applications. xGPS is a jailbroken application - it's totally possible that xGPS might make use of the dock to talk to an extranal GPS device. I don't know for sure though.

You're right, though, the iPod touch does not have built-in GPS. However, as I said, it can provide rudimentary location services that work through detecting nearby Wi-Fi hotspots.

More likely, the G-Map developer simply means to say that you can use an iPod touch to browse G-Map's built-in maps manually (ie you don't need a data connection to download online maps the way Google's services do), but you won't have any real-time location information.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's quite possible. Certainly would be an interesting application for maps - when you're walking through the city, it would be nice to look at a map of the area if you could give a starting point. I wouldn't care about actual GPS, but it would be nice to just be able to look at maps.

6. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

GPS embedded in the iPod touch? No.

However, IIRC, companies are looking into dock connectors (like the Nike dongle that Apple sells) which will have GPS built into that, thus connecting with your iPod touch.

Sometimes, services can determine a very broad location (city, town, sometimes building) based on the wifi you're using. But the iPod touch is certainly far from a GPS device.

7. Spironic macrumors newbie

You can buy a GPS dongle for iPod touch from Orange Gadgets for 75 bucks.

https://www.orangegadgets.com/shop/..._id=1&osCsid=c5837328b599f1afe0931e1092634e22
    (For some reason the site gave me a certificate warning. If you hit that problem, just add an exception)

[​IMG]

It's pretty new; just a little over 500 units have been shipped. From what I hear, it's quality equipment, and you can charge it and your iPod at the same time using the USB Mini connector located on the bottom of it. And it's TINY. It doesn't currently work with App Store apps because the SDK doesn't allow access to the dock connector, but they're working on hooking into the MobileSubstrate platform to sort of trick the iPod/iPhone into thinking it's onboard.

The xGPS software also allows you to download and cache maps and directions with ease for use on-the-go, which is ideal for iPod touch users with no mobile internet access. It really does seem like the complete package...I plan to get one as soon as I can.

The only problem I have is that my car has neither a tape deck or an aux in...I normally use an FM transmitter, but the GPS uses the dock connection I would need to connect it. :( Guess I'll have to get a new stereo system...