Ipod touch 2nd gen 32 gb

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by kaija75, Apr 30, 2010.

1. kaija75 macrumors newbie

I am looking to purchase an iPod touch in the next few weeks. I only have a limited amount of money which means i can either:

1. Buy a refurbished 2nd Generation 32gb touch.
    This is what I am leaning towards. I want to know some information about this model though. I would like to jailbreak it, but if you update it to the newest firmware(i.e. 3.1.2 or 3.1.3) would you still be able to perform the jailbreak?
    or
    2. Buy a new 32gb iPod touch at the store and sacrifice being able to jailbreak it.
    I would have to spend more money this way but would it be worth it? do you guys think that there will be a jailbreak for this version of the ipod anytime soon?

All of your help is appreciated, thanks.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=880554
    So after looking at this thread, it seems i can upgrade to 3.1.2 firmware on the 2nd gen iPod touch. Once i do this, will I be able to jailbreak it?

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

If you can wait a few days, your best bet is to hold off and see what the new "Spirit" jailbreak will do. Rumor has it that it'll give you an untethered JB on a 3G Touch even on 3.1.3.

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I would go for the new 3G 32GB for 3 reasons, first Spirit will be available very soon and will work on all devices for an untethered jailbreak with 3.13 provided you don't install the latest iTunes 9.1.1.

Secondly the 3G will get all the benefits of the new functions in OS4.0 while the 2G will miss out on a few features like multitasking, homescreen wallpaper etc.

Finally based on the sneak peak we have had of the 4th generation iPhone there is a chance that this years touch update in September may see some significant changes to design and hardware specifications, if so as the current 1G touch is now on the verge of obsolescence so a refurb 2G will be one step away from becoming obsolete within the next 12 months.

4. kaija75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think i will save a little bit more money and go for the 3rd gen. Does anyone know how this Spirit jailbreak is going to work? And I tried to check what iTunes version I have and it said 9.1.0.79?? Is this alright?

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Spirit uses a "useland" exploit which to the best of my knowledge is basically a security breach within the operating system that allows code to be introduced, unfortunately useland exploits are easy for Apple to patch so once they know about it they will kill it in the next FW update so it may only be good for 3.1.3.

It would seem from reports on Twitter that iTunes 9.1.1 is not a problem for Spirit as first thought but I would hold off updating until it is released and confirmed.

6. kaija75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i wont update iTunes as it really doesnt add much. I will have to back up my SSH files once i buy it. Should i put my music on the iPod before or after I use Spirit? Or does it really matter?
    Thanks again for your help.

7. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

It won't matter, once it is run it will most likely need a reboot and your touch will be jailbroken without disturbing your files.

Yeah best to backup your SHSH so that in the future you can downgrade back to your original firmware version if need be.

8. kaija75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, would you recommend autoshsh to back it up? or something else?

9. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

AutoSHSH seems to be about the easiest way to go about it as it saves to your computer as well as uploading to the cydia server.