iPod Touch 2nd Gen Flipping Out?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tennis-menace, Oct 29, 2008.

1. tennis-menace macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    today I was using my iPod touch, nothing out of the ordinary. Listening to some music and watching that free video iTunes had last week was all I was doing. Then, out of nowhere my iPod starts making an obnoxious "metallic alarm noise" (the best way I could put it). I put the iPod into its "sleep mode" and the noise was still there. When it first started making the noise the iPod froze, but after i turned it off and turned back on it wasn't frozen, but was still making the noise. I then completely shut down the iPod and it was still making the noise! I was ready to throw it down the hallway and cover it with pillows to make it shut up. Eventually it went off, I restored the iPod, and then to my surprise, it happens again. NO message or error screen is coming up or anything. I restored the iPod once more and it is working again, but I'm horrified it will start making the noise again, it was awful. The Apple support did no good, and i was wondering if anyone else has had a case like this before I take it into the Genius Bar, where I hope they will give me a new iPod Touch. Sorry for the long post too, but thanks in advance to any advice or ideas!

2. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

3. tennis-menace thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what you mean? I had all my music and such on my computer, i wiped my iPod clean in the restore, and then synced the ipod back. Not sure if that answers your question though

4. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

whenever you restored your ipod touch, after it got finished itunes should have given you a page titled Set up Your iPod, on that page there was 2 options, Restore from backup or setup as a new iPod, which one did you use?

5. YodaEXE macrumors member

Have you checked to see if it simply wasn't your headphones that went bad or something? Try a different pair of headphones and see if it still does it.

6. tennis-menace thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it was restore from back-up. Not sure though, wasn't really paying attention, just wanted it to get done

7. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

well if it does happen again and you restore, make sure to restore it as new

8. Dudeman486 macrumors member

is the noise coming from your headphones or speaker? if it is the speaker, i think a connection may be loose/faulty/wrong, and that is causing the noise.

if you restore your ipod as new and the noise is still there, i am almost certain it's a hardware problem, and you should get it checked at a genius bar. if there are no genius bars near you, mail your touch in, but make sure that the battery is fully drained so that the package doesn't make noise...