iPod touch 2nd Gen - Google Maps question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 1quick1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 1quick1 macrumors member

Hello, another newbie here. Yesterday after the news release I ordered a 2nd Gen 16gb Touch and had a quick question.

I was hoping for the GPS but we all know that didn't happen however I am really happy to see they added Google Maps.

My question is - does anyone know if I'll be able to save directions to the Touch and use it that way. Basically look up directions while I'm connecting to Wi-Fi at home, work, etc. then save the results then jump in the car and use those search results as a functioning Google Map?

2. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

well you could take screenshots of the directions and the screenshots would be saved to the photo section of the ipod then you could view them from anywhere w/ or w/o wi-fi, but as far as using google maps w/o wi-fi, it's a no.

3. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

google maps has been on the ipod touch since january this year.
    and no, most of the time the maps wont save, they might cache, but inly a very small area.

4. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

It saves it as long as you don't turn it off or anything. Almost always, however, the turn by turn directions, or 'list mode' will stay in tact. I've used it to get places before like that, and it was way easier than using a map :D!!!