iPod touch 2nd Gen on 4.0, can't downgrade.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by WeegieMac, Aug 9, 2010.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I'm trying to downgrade a friends iPod touch 2nd Gen from 4.0 to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2.

The usual Felix source for firmware downloads doesn't have 3.1.3 (it appears corrupt), so I downloaded 3.1.2 along with RecBoot (which I've used when downgrading my old iPhone 3G from 4.0 GM to 3.1.3 in the past to get past the iTunes error code after restoration is complete).

I click alt+mouse button on Restore in iTunes, choose the ipsw file, and after attempting to verify the firmware, I get the message:

"The iPod "iPod touch" could not be restored. This device isn't eligable for the requested build.

It definitely the 2nd Gen iPod touch ipsw I have (iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw), and the iPod touch is model number MB531FD.

From experience with my iPhone 3G, I thought it would be a simple case of restoring using the older firmware, getting to the iTunes error, using RecBoot to boot it out of Recovery Mode and past the iTunes error, and Sync.

I don't understand the "device not eligable" message though.

Anyone?

Thanks.

2. Kafluke macrumors member

My first and only question is why are you downgrading? You know you can jailbreak any ipod touch or iphone on 4.0 now with www.jailbreakme.com right?

3. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Greatest of respect.

First. I explained in my opening sentence that my friend has asked me to downgrade.

Second. He doesn't want it Jailbroken, and I didn't mention Jailbreaking. He doesn't want more features, he wants the speedy 3.1.3 iPod touch he had back and not the iPod touch that takes ages to open up the Settings app or make his Solitaire app run at 5fps.

And yes, he's restored the iPod numerous times to try and make it "fast".