iPod Touch 2nd Generation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pooleman, Jun 11, 2014.

1. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Hello All,

I have an iPod Touch 2nd Gen that recently came in contact with water. It powers on, will sync to iTunes, etc. The only issue is that the screen is completely unresponsive to touch. The screen illuminates when you touch the power or home buttons but quickly turns off after a few seconds. What is the issue with this thing? Is it the digitizer? What would need to get replaced to get this thing working again. Right now it is only good for use in the car because I can access the hard drive of the iPod through my car stereo via the sync cable. I have taken apart and repaired various iPods in the past successfully but never have I taken apart a Touch device. Any input?

2. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

Personally, i wouldn't repair such an old iPod. It may seem weird, but you're probably better off grabbing a newer (second-hand) one. It can run much more apps and is faster, better screen, cameras are better.

Or if you only use it for music, get a regular iPod like the nano or the classic (yep, they still sell the 160GB version - enough to store thousands of songs on it)

3. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I'd like to try to salvage it. I'm looking forward to the challenge of fixing it myself, saving money, and it has no camera and my company prefers no cameras on the property.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds like it may be worth while to replace the LCD as well as the digitizer since you will have it open anyway.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If you need parts feel free to PM me.

6. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If it is unresponsive to touch that sounds like it might be the problem. If the screen turns off after a few seconds it may be both.

8. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

It turns off because it's getting no input from the screen. I just ordered a new LCD and digitizer online for $15.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds good. Hope it works out for you!

10. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

So I replaced the digitizer yesterday but it still isn't working. Screen comes on but it unresponsive to to touch. Any suggestions?