Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Hey guys, I was wondering something. I know that the 3.0 update for the iPod Touch will be $10. But how do the updates come to you? Do they come through iTunes? If so, what happens if you have an iPod Touch and an iPhone? Is it possible to use the same installation on both devices (such as you can with apps) if both devices are synced with the same computer and the same iTunes account?

I'm assuming no, because I would think that the OS is still different between devices (ie no camera on iPod), but I thought I would ask. I don't have the iPhone yet, but I will be getting the new one. If having it will prevent me from having to spend $10 on the iPod Touch, I'll wait to get 3.0 until I actually have the iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
It's $9.95. They said so at the keynote. To update, plug into iTunes, buy the update, install update. You can use it on multiple devices if they are the same model. The update is free for iPhone users, so there would be no problem involving the camera.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The OS is different between the touch and the iphone.

Basically you answered your own question. :p

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
nahhh dude, that won't work

its only 10 bucks...small price to pay in my opinion

if you're THAT upset about spending a measly 10 bucks, im sure youll be able to bit torrent it

or you could just not upgrade the touch....since you'll have an iPhone

you wont need to use your touch....just sell it

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Just buy it. $10 will be a deal to get the search and note syncing. The rest is just gravy.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Just buy it. $10 will be a deal to get the search and note syncing. The rest is just gravy.

Yup... features like Copy/Paste and Push Notification and some Background app allowance are "gravy." Some one has their facts right...

Sell the iPod Touch if you're getting the iPhone. I recently got the BB Storm and I have no use for the Touch.

(For those of you who will now say BB Storm sucks and blah blah... keep it to yourself. I'm in Business and the first thing I need is a phone that can multi task).

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Oh, I'm buying it, for sure. $10 is well worth it. Just wanted to make sure because if I could get it legitly free, why pay, right? I won't bittorrent it.

This is better anyway because I think 3.0 will be released before the iPhone anyway so I'll be able to get it right away and not wait.

Thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.