iPod Touch 3.1.2 more Wifi troubles

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jacrs, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jacrs macrumors newbie

Hey, my household has two identical iPod Touches. We have our own unsecured wifi network. While our computers access the internet fine, the ipods just don't. Even though the wifi signal is strong (full bars on wifi icon), it doesn't seem to transfer internet data fast enough to load pages, even when I'm in the same room as the router.

Any thoughts? I had one that only makes a little sense: the router is an older "g" series, and not by apple. While it should still work, technically, a newer "n" series may work better. Plus, if it was an apple router, it would support "interference robustness," that extra layer of coding that apple enables on its wifi products to help it get through walls. I'm not sure why this would help when the iPod is right next to the router, but it might help across the house.

Thanks
    Jac

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Newer 'n' won't work. iPod Touch only has a 'g' radio, as far as I know...at least our 2 iPhones and iPod Touch can only connect via 'g' in my home. Maybe newer models have 'n'?

EDIT: or maybe it's the 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz network? (My 'n' is 5, the 'g' is 2.4)

3. jacrs thread starter macrumors newbie

g vs n response to your statement

I think what you're saying is, I shouldn't bother getting an "n" router b/c the touch isn't compatible with the faster speed. Whether or not that's true, a faster router should be able to work at either speeds. But I think we're in agreement that changing the router isn't the clear solution. Any other comments? Reminder: signal strong on touch and computers on same wireless network access internet just fine.

4. macroger macrumors newbie

What models is the router and what are the other computers? My first thought is to say just buy an airport - I've had many and never had a problem. I've helped a lot of friends with their wireless networks and have had many a strange problem with other vendors' stuff. As an aside, unless you live way out in the boonies, secure that wireless network.

5. jacrs thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey MacRoger,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried with two different routers, one by d-link and one smc. Both had the same problem. While I agree that other brands tend to be more buggy than apple products, I had hoped that trying two would effectively rule out the router as the problem. But, I suppose it could still be.

Also, I appreciate the warning about securing the network and I'll take your suggestion... once these iPods are working. For now, I'll keep the network free of as many variables as possible.

Now where can I find an airport router to test :rolleyes: .

6. Nikkos macrumors newbie

off topic ive heard the 3g touch has a N chip thats not been used yet, another thing my iphone on speed test got 5mps but my new 8 gig 3g touch hits 10mps but its using 2g tech same as the iphone i had weird eh sorry for hijack