iPod touch 3.1 battery issues?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jordan the Nerd, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Jordan the Nerd macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Hello,

I understand iPhone users are experiencing battery issues with the latest 3.1 update, but what about iPod touch users? I just purchased a 32gb 3rd generation touch, and I am concerned about the battery life. I don't have anything to compare it too, but I don't think I'm getting the full 6 hours out of it.

I don't quite remember how long it lasts and everything, but I know my dad was playing a game on it before, when it was at around 40% (according the battery app that I downloaded), after 5 minutes or so, it was at around 20%.

My friend has a 2nd generation touch, and loaded 3.1 on it the other day, and noticed that after 20 minutes, he went from 100% to 20%. Not sure if mine drains that fast, but it seems there is a problem.

Anyone else experiencing battery issues, or is it just me and my friend? Should it be taken back to Apple, or will they fix it? When can we expect a fix?

Thanks,
    Jordan

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Haha my name is Jordan too, it was weird reading the end.

Anyways I have a new gen iPod Touch on the 3.1 software and my battery life is pretty great. It doesn't wind down quickly at all. Though i do have my brightness at around 15% or so and turn off push and all those other battery draining things (other than WiFi, I leave that on).

3. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

It all depends what you use the iPod for.

I play Alive 4-ever for 30 mins. and it would drop to 20%. And this was on 3.0 and 3.1.1.

But now, I can at least play it for roughly 40-60 mins. And it would drop to about 50% if on a full charge.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Have you calibrated it yet? Until you do I would not worry much. After calibration best to let it run dry and time it. If it's not within spec then return it. This process should take just a couple of days tops.

5. celticpride678

I know I am not the starter of this thread but, how do you calibrate an iPod touch/iPhone battery?

6. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

1. Charge up your iPod fully
    2. Let it drain completely (0%)
    3. Connect it to a charger
    4. Do NOT use it at all while charging

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you're being sarcastic but whatever. :rolleyes:

Fully charge, fully drain, let rest for 5 hours, fully charge, let rest for 2 hours (so says iPhone calibration so I'd do it there) and then play through.

You can skip that 2 hour part because it is not widely noted but I would do the rest.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't think he was being sarcastic. My only thought is he should mroogle next time.

I wouldn't do any of the resting on the battery. Sorry, jessica, but with these batteries, you might have a hard time getting them to take a charge if you wait that long. So, OP, do what spaghetticat said.

9. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

I tried calibrating once, but doesn't seem different. However, I did not follow those exact steps (ie, letting it rest, not using it while charging).

What about my friends iPod that has bad battery life after 3.1?

- Jordan

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't apologize, it's just what I've read through google. Didn't say it was accurate ... if you want accuracy then one would have searched themselves.

Charge, drain charge. Do it and see what happens. Until you do that don't worry about the battery because you haven't bothered to calibrate it ... however that happens.