Ipod touch 32 gb scratched out of the box

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ViciousOutlaw, May 2, 2009.

1. ViciousOutlaw macrumors newbie

Just got an ipod 36gb 2nd gen brand new from Best Buy the 17th of April. Finally found time to open it up today with all intentions of putting an invisishield on it as soon as I took it out of the box and guess what. The silver back has a scratch extending from the top all the way to the bottom of the ipod. Whileit will not hamper functionality what so ever, paying some $400 for it brand new and its scratched out of the box is BS.

So is this a common problem? And would you guys return it to Best Buy or call Apple?

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Best Buy will probably give you a new one if you take it to them. If you take it to Apple, I'm positive they will give you a new one.

So as long as you didn't damage, either place you give you a new one.

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Yeah, take it back. But honestly, the delay is going to raise questions.

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yes. The delay will definitely raise some eyebrows. Are you actually serious that it was scratched right out of the box?;)
    Doesn't seem possible unless if it iPod was returned.
    And also, I think you mean 32 Gigabytes.

5. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Kind of rare that iPods would be scratched when first opened. Though a while back people were having issues with it scratched.

I'd say to return it for a new one and open it there in the store.

6. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, honest, and I'm not being hostile. But you bought a brand new ipod three weeks ago and you've only just taken it out of the box?

I don't believe you.

I don't think BB will either - I think you'll have a real job getting them to take it back. Don't the ipods have clear film over them when they arrive - unless you've still got that and it's partially attached, I think you're out of luck - just stick it in a case and enjoy your ipod.

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The scratch thing does happen. When I bought my 5G 3 years ago I opened it up, took of the film and notice a scratch right across the screen :( I bought it at a supermarket, who replaced it straight away. But then again I returned it the next day

Ironically, the replacement is now not just scratched, but actually has chips out the front of it :rolleyes: I'm waiting for the HD to crap out, then I'll replace the screen, battery, HD and front face all at once

8. ViciousOutlaw thread starter macrumors newbie

For those of you who think I'm a liar, I'm sorry you feel that way. I didn't want to open it until I got my invisible shield and a nice case. I just got those Saturday, the same day I opened it :) But no seriously, it had a scratch out of the box, and I am happy to report that Best Buy exchanged it no problems.