Ipod touch - 32GB=$525

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pizz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. pizz macrumors regular

Lets call it like it is... $525.00 it will cost you in reality. Not worth it to me. I got my 16gb for $320.00. I had a 32gb ipod 5th generation and I barley used up half the capacity. 16gb is plenty for me. I'm more excited over the SDK release.

Give me bluetooth, speakers and a camera then maybe it's worth the $525

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

3. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Yes, at that price, you should be getting a little more, like BT, built in FM transmitter, or even a camera to upload your pics on the go to flikr and other sites like that.

4. kolax macrumors G3

It is NAND memory - doesn't come cheap.

I reckon it'll come down in price drastically in the next 6 months now it is being mass produced.

5. Nicky-Larson macrumors member

Or you could just

Or you could just get an ultra portable Notebook. At that price, I just think its nuts that people would even consider paying that amount of money for an iPod,common people, at that price, you can get close to 250GB plus more on other machines. I have 8GB, and I am so ok with it. Bute, hey people like their stuff so do what u gotta do

:eek:

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

But you can't put an ultra-portable notebook in your pocket. Well, without looking like a total tool anyway.

That's like recommending a very nice screwdriver to someone with a box of nails. It might be a lovely screwdriver, well made and durable, with a nice grippy handle, but it's not the tool they need.

Different people have different needs, that's why there are different products (at different price points).

7. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Expect the 8GB touch to disappear at that same time.

8. mechler macrumors member

Do have a good $500 ultra portable you can recommend? I'm not seeing anything for under $1k - closer to $2k if you want anything good.

9. duraace macrumors member

Don't need 32 gigs on my 16 gig Touch. Other improvements would be welcomed though. It's pretty good as it is.

10. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

I figure I usually have 8 gigs music and 4 gigs movies at any one time and you can have 100+ apps on it and it wont take up more then 100/200mb tops. So that leaves me with about 4 gigs to play with. I'll keep my 16gig.

11. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

at that point buy the Iphone..

12. regan macrumors member

Yeah it's pricey...BUT...

I remember the first ipod was like $500 too. And it was only 5 gigs and B&W with no video or internet!

So...in a way, the ipod touch is worth it to me.

My 60gig ipod recently broke, and I've been without music for nearly 3 weeks now. I didn't buy a new 60 gig ipod because I prefer the touch, but 16 gigs was just not enough(I have 21 gigs of audio so far).

I was HOPING a 32gig ipod touch would be released....and now my wish is answered! Thank you Apple!

Seriously. I am about to travel, and I was going to buy a new macbook(for surfing the web and email) AND an ipod...but now thanks to the touch update, I can put off my macbook purchase for now and just get the 32gig ipod touch. That way I can pretty much have a wifi laptop that fits in my pocket for my travels....which to me is so worth $500. Otherwise I'd be spending close to 2 grand for a new macbook and ipod.

For others it may not be a good deal right now. But for my situation it's perfect. :)

That being said, I'd love to see Apple put a camera in the touch next. How sweet would that be?! Uploading pics on the fly. Video conferencing. Wow. I guess thats too much to ask all at once. But Thats about all I'd want in addition to the 32gig upgrade.

I'm out. :)

13. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I bought the 16gig Touch about three weeks ago. I thought $400- is a lot for something that hopefully will give me two years of use. When I read the announcement this morning about the new 32gig models, I did consider returning mine for the new one, but it's not worth another $100- to me. I have my entire music library synced (it's not as big as some), a few movies, photos, and several tv shows. I still have 8gigs to spare.

14. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

I think it's interesting, but coming from minis and nanos (and then a 30gb iPod video), it seems highly impractical for me to keep everything on there. Out of my roughly 60gb of music, I really only listen to about 10gb on a given week. I watch movies on my ipod once and then yank them off. Again, I suspect managing iPod data is just part of my routine because I started out with the low end of the line, but it also seems a lot more practical, even when I had more storage. My 16gb iPod has about 4 gb free as we speak.

15. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Actually, the 5gb was $400 and the 10gb was $500. Still, good point. Technology marches on.

16. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

For people who need the space, though, it may be worth the $$. I have over 16GB of music and wouldn't want to cut it down to fit the 16GB touch.

17. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

18. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Think that's bad?

Apple is over-charging the UK by £100. May not sound that bad when I say "The 32GB Touch costs £350 when it should only cost £250" but you've got to remember that this is Apple getting $200 extra from each UK sale than it should do. With VAT, it's STILL £50! $100!

This is not on.

19. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

OK but keep in mind you're going to have to enter a contract with a carrier, about another $75 or so a month so in reality that iphone is costing around $1300.00 after only a year or so of use. :confused: eeehh no thanks.