iPod Touch 32GB woes and now this (MobileMe)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by garyread, Jul 25, 2008.

1. garyread macrumors newbie

This is my first post here and I rarely post in any forum until I get to the end of my tether. That end has now been reached. Since paying for, and upgrading to, the 2.0 software my hitherto reliable 32GB Touch crashes roughly every other day (it hangs on the black screen with Apple logo). The only way out of this is to carry out a force restore. My last such restore was yesterday and all was well today until syncing it for the last time tonight.

My Touch shows up on iTunes with a MobileMe splash screen asking me if I want to become a member (I have been a member for almost 2 years and have 50 days left before I need to renew). The only two options are 'no thanks' or Yes please'. I hesitated before pressing 'No thanks' incase it did something to my profile so I selected the other. This simply opens up a page on Apple's site which explains how to configure my system (Macbook with latest Leopard). My system is set up correctly.

So I cannot do anything in iTunes and the only option is yet another force restore which I am seriously thinking about building in to my nightime routine. Can anyone offer a crumb of comfort and suggest what is going on before I drag my iPod Video 5.5 grn out of retirement?

Many thanks.

2. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

i had the same problem on my 32 gig and eventualy got a replacement

3. garyread thread starter macrumors newbie

I've booked a genius bar appointment tomorrow at my nearest Apple store (Birmingham,UK) which is just over 100 miles from my home. I have never been to an Apple store before, is it within the power of an Apple genius to replace my Touch?

4. JAT macrumors 603

Yes, but it's not their first thought. If that is the diagnosis, stress the driving distance.

The fact that it worked before suggests it is not a hardware problem. Perhaps you should consider downgrading instead of a 3 hour driving day. At least until there is a stable release of v2.

5. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Yes an Apple Genius can replace your touch.

I had a issue which caused my touch to reset the date to 1st January 1970 and the Genius diagnosed it as a battery problem and promptly exchanged it.

And it was at the Bullring Store.

6. garyread thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm glad I went to the Apple store - the staff were very helpful and Dave on the Genius bar replaced my Touch for me. he said it was probably a software issue but seeing as I had travelled so far decided to swap it out to eliminate any possible hardware issue. Now that's what I call service.

It was my first ever visit to an Apple store - I availed myself of a one hour iLife 08 workshop and few accessories. Overall a wonderful experience!

7. wowurrcool macrumors member

When they replace your touch, do you need to present a receipt?

8. aosman macrumors 6502

You usually do not have to provide a receipt (if you got it from them) since they can track it with the SN. I might be wrong, since this may only apply to iPhones.

9. garyread thread starter macrumors newbie

No receipt required - and because I had registered with Apple they already had all my details on screen.