iPod Touch 3g 3.5 MM socket broken/loose

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lilaznzoul, Jun 8, 2010.

1. lilaznzoul macrumors newbie

Hey, my 3g 32gigs Touch's 3.5mm socket is kind of loose and when I do plug my earphones in, I don't hear any music.

To "fix" this problem, I have to move the earphone plug around until I get some music, and once it's at the right spot, I won't touch it because if I touch the plug then I don't hear anything.

How can I fix the socket?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Are you sure it's not the earphones? Just check if another pair gets the same problem.

As for repairing the socket, you should have a look here. It's written 2nd generation, but not much has changed between them. Or, you could have a look at the teardown.

3. lilaznzoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have confirmed that it's not the earphones. I tried 2 other earphones and I know it's the iPod.

That's the first question I asked myself lolol.

As for the tearing down, I'm scared I might break it. I can use the warranty to get a new iPod, but please understand that I've invested TOOOOOO MUCH FREAKIN' time on this iPod so I just wanna repair it without loss.

4. unamused macrumors 6502

this happened to me... ended up selling the ipod for parts...

i broke the screen trying to pry it off and i just gave up...

the audio jack has to be soldered on so to me it just wasnt worth it.

5. lilaznzoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I got the info on that. ifixit told me that the 3.5mm jack is part of the logic board. oh well, i guess i'll just get a new one.