iPod Touch 3G and OS 3.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jpbl68, Sep 16, 2009.

1. jpbl68 macrumors member

I've been out of the loop for about a month. I just looked on Apple's website and it seems that the 3G Touch made very few improvements on the 2G (processor, graphics, voice control, storage capacity) and OS 3.1 seems quite similar to 3.0. Am I right so far? I'm kind of glad that I didn't hold out for the new model.

2. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

Yeah, you're basically right. The new iPod touch is easily twice as fast for things like web browsing though, and just feels much smoother to use. You also get some accessibility improvements, but I really doubt the majority of people care about that.

I think that by early next year, we'll see an updated 3G iPod touch with a camera, microphone, and maybe a redesigned exterior (hoping for matte aluminum like on first iPhone).

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It's only worth it for graphic intensive games.

4. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

It sounds like the 3G is to the 2G what the 2G was to the 1G. Only really worth it for people who don't already own a Touch.

What about OS 3.1? I had a quick look on the Apple site but I couldn't see what improvements have been made. Does it just fix a few stability/security issues?

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

Well, it was a great upgrade from the 1G Touch... Much much quicker in everything.

6. jreamsnyder macrumors member

I'll second that. Just upgraded from a 32 gig 1G to a 64 gig 3G. New touch is leaps and bounds faster than my old one, not to mention I can finally enjoy the external speaker and volume controls:) Very happy with the upgrade.

7. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

Glad you're liking the 3G. But I think there are probably more than a few people that regret putting their 2Gs on eBay a couple of months ago.

I really like my 2G and don't see the need to upgrade to the 3G. The improvements are too slight. But having had my Touch for a couple of months now makes me want to get an iPhone so badly. Especially now that AR is taking off.

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Seeing as 3.1 was a free update from 3.0, and given Apple's previous claims about the reasons why some of its updates for iPod touch users are free and others aren't, it follows logically that moving from 3.0 to 3.1 in any existing iPod touch would only deliver only bug fixes and minor improvements to existing features, rather than delivering any major new features.

The new 32GB and 64GB iPod touch do deliver some previously unavailable features, such as improved usability for visually impaired users - VoiceOver screen reading technology and voice-activated music control. But it appears that those features are considered features of the new hardware SKUs rather than of the OS, and OS 3.1 does not deliver them to any of the older models.

9. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

Was 3.1 only free for a limited time? I've only seen it advertised for £2.99 (I've already got 3.0, if that makes any difference).

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you have 3.0 already, 3.1 is a free update. The fee is for people who are still on 2.x or earlier.

11. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

So even though it says I have to pay for it I won't be charged if I decide to download it?

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

13. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member