iPod touch 3G awful battery life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ryan.stewie, Sep 26, 2009.

1. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

I recently purchased an iPod touch 3G, 32GB and it's great, except for it's battery life, which is appauling. I can surf the web for just an hour and a half and battery meter will drop to just above half-way. Is this normal or does my iPod have a problem?

2. avrpatsfan macrumors member

it seems normal

it seems pretty normal. if you have brightness maxed out and you are watching online videos, then of course it's normal. if you have brightness halfway, i still think its pretty normal. to get a good test, have mid brightness, no wifi, and run a video playlist until the battery drains. see how long that takes, and compare it to apple's guarantee. if it is under, then get a new one. good luck! i'm getting a 64 gb ipod touch soon. hope i don't have any problems!

3. Chimpy macrumors 6502

Wifi sucks battery juice big time. Wifi + using the screen constantly = very little battery time.

4. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I also keep the blue tooth off. I have pretty good battery life with the bluetooth, wi-fi off and screen brightness at about 1/2.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just using as music player with headphones, I get about 30 hours, although I don't actually pay close attention to the battery. I plug in to iTunes perhaps once a week and it's been fine for a year. I don't use wi-fi or bluetooth. I have a Touch 2G

6. maggiesbuddy macrumors newbie

bat life

I use audio and games for and have never gone below 1/2 for several hours! Can't believe the bat. life on this 3 gen. Touch. But that's not WiFi for sure.

7. ryan.stewie thread starter macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

Good news! I restored my iPod and the battery is much better, infact I ran a test, a video playlist with 10hrs of content, Wi-Fi off, 50% brightness and 50% volume and the battery lasted for 8.5 HOURS!!!! Thats 2.5 hours more than apple says it should run for!!!! SPREAD THE WORD: THE IPOD TOUCH 3G BATTERY LIFE IS EXCELLENT!!:D

8. wolfbold macrumors newbie

restore

How do you restore your I pod I have had mine about a week and the battery life is terrible! do you lose everything?

Thankyou!

9. chrisworld macrumors member

You should probably use it at like 30% screen brightness. Believe me your eyes adjust to it and your battery will thank you. I had the same problem. THe screen looks NICE all the way up but in reality it's just eye candy that costs battery life. Lower is better.

You lose everything on the ipod. But don't worry, you can just re sync it with your iTunes library. Manually managing the iPod is also great for adding songs you want back onto the iPod. I don't think you should restore though, try lowering the brightness below 50 or even 40%.

10. vmelkon macrumors newbie

Personally, I find the batt life terrible on my ipod touch 8GB and iPhone 3GS 16 GB. The iPod touch does about 1.5 hours of usage with screen brightness at 35%. If off, it can go for 2 days with previous OSes. Once, I left bluetooth on and it drained it in less than a day so turning off bluetooth is important.

With OS 4.0.2, ipod touch, the batt drains to empty in 15 hours or something even if I don't use it. Apple messed up here.

Let's hope they plan to fix it.

11. chrisworld macrumors member

Very important. Also, try turning Wifi off when you don't need it. Sure it's a hassle over and over, but in OS4 I just hit airplane mode and I'm comforted to know my iPod won't be trying to ping every wifi spot around town and wherever I'm at when I don't need it. This'll save a good amount of battery life.

12. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Yes, the battery life ain't that great. Sacrifice I guess, for great features in such a small package...

13. Moocher macrumors regular