iPod Touch 3G: Camera or Projector

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jpbl68, Aug 21, 2009.

1. jpbl68 macrumors member

This crossed my mind a few weeks back but I forgot to post it. There's been a lot of talk about the 3G having a camera. Pictures of iPod cases with camera sized holes have helped to spread this rumour. But built in projectors are meant to be one of the next big things in mobile devices. Does anyone think it's possible that the next iPod Touch will have a projector instead of a camera?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, I don't see it having a projector. A camera? Maybe, but not a projector.

3. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IMO, a camera would be much more useful on an iPod than a projector.

5. Slugg macrumors newbie

Slugg

Because picoprojecters are a new technology right now and putting one in an iPod would mean making at least 3x thicker (look at all the devices with a projector in them now), and to be honest, nobody would want a projector in their iPod.

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Projector???????????????

like this

Attached Files:

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Exactly.

Without the phone or a constant wifi connection, what good could that possible be?

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

There is nothing about a projector that requires phone or WiFi connectivity. Samsung has already produced both a phone and a PMP with projector built-in, but both are bricks 3/4" to 1" thick. It has to do with the optics, cooling/fan, light source (high power LED), and orientation of all this within the device. AAXA sells stand-alone pico projectors you can use with your Touch though, so long as it's got pre-3.0 firmware on it. In it's infinite wisdom Apple broke video output to 3rd-party cables with the 3.0 firmware update.

9. Jordan the Nerd macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

The projector thing was just one of those crazy rumors that we all know is crazy, even for Apple. Now, a camera, I personally don't think I would actually use much, but it'd be nice.

However, a camera is just turning it into too much of an iPhone, maybe they will release a more expensive model of the touch with the camera, or maybe it'll just be the 32gb (or 64gb) model.

- Jordan