iPod Touch 3rd Gen 8GB - Wallpaper?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DBAlex, Jun 21, 2010.

1. DBAlex macrumors regular

DBAlex

Hi,

Just wanted to say, I thought that wallpaper worked with all 3rd Gen iPod Touches, but not the 8GB it seems.

Do I need to restart the iPod or something?

Thanks Apple.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

The 8 GB version you have is pretty much a 2nd gen as far as hardware specs, so I'm afraid you are out of luck. :(

3. DBAlex thread starter macrumors regular

DBAlex

That's pretty fscking shady on Apple's part though!

3rd gen is third gen though, they should have said 3rd gen excluding the 8GB model... :(

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

Well, I could always be wrong, but I actually have one just like yours besides my 32 GB (I'm keeping in on the last iOS though) and it definitely has a slower processor, slower graphics, and 128 MB RAM.

5. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

6. DBAlex thread starter macrumors regular

DBAlex

Fair enough.

Anyway, I like the new iOS on my iPod anyway, I like how you can change track/volume with iTunes while in other apps (not multitasking, close enough though!).

I also am liking iBooks! Think I will definitely be using this feature a lot. :)

EDIT: Also the new Mail app and opening PDF's in iBooks is a nice touch.

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

See my edit above, sorry... :eek:

That thing about changing tracks in other apps is what irks me about iOS 4; you could always do that previously, but now I can't seem to edit the function of the home button to anything other than show the springboard and do the app switcher/multitasking thing. :(

8. Discostu7 macrumors member

wallpaper doesnt work

the wallpaper doesn't work for the Ipod Touch 3rd Gen 8gb. I am experiencing the same problems. There is no home screen wallpaper or stand by wallpaper.

I have noticed under settings "Airplane Mode"

9. sharp65 macrumors 6502

It's because technically there is no 8gb 3rd gen ipod touch. Apple still considers that the 2nd generation.

10. Ehlun macrumors member

Well then, it looks like I will be keeping my jailbreak.

11. Biker macrumors regular

Wait for the ios4 jailbreak, it will enable multitask and other functions of the ios4 :D

12. mac2x macrumors 65816

I discovered that the iPod controls are on the extreme left of the multitasking/app switcher thingie. :)

13. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I'm curious about the lack of home screen background wallpaper. Does it really take that much processor time/memory? I can understand not having multitasking or other things which the second gen iPod touch really can't handle, but... background wallpaper? Seriously?

14. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It actually does. I jailbroke my 2G touch solely to enable multitasking/home screen backgrounds to compare with my 3GS and, out of everything, it's the home screen backgrounds that slows it down. What Apple did was added shadows behind all the app icons for when a wallpaper is used to make the whole thing look better (to give the illusion that the apps are 'floating' above the background).
    This means every time you hit the home button, the device has to quickly cache all the shadows (as many as there are app icons, basically) to the tiny amount of memory on the 2G touch so it can render them on the home screen, creating a tonne of lag. As a result, it's also laggy as heck to open any folders and to open other apps. The only time it doesn't lag is when you're not doing anything that involves the home screen. I see why Apple has removed this feature, as when you actually use it you realise how annoying it can be (even more annoying than the lack of the feature to begin with).