iPod touch 3rd gen has room for a camera [NOT iPhone camera though]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iSpaghettiCat, Sep 11, 2009.

1. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Sweet, wanted to see the teardown but forgot to check the website. I wonder what the updated CPU (compared to the 3GS) signifies..

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Nope - The iPod Touch was never getting a camera. The Touch will probably finally get a camera when Microsoft puts a camera into the Zune.

4. Miko macrumors member

So what exactly is different in the 3G than the 2G other than a speed boost?

5. iSpaghettiCat thread starter macrumors regular

64GBs.

Also, according to iFixit, it has an FM chip in there. So Apple may activate the FM tuner in a later firmware update.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

N.

I'd give anything to go back to my exclusive N network.... that is a WOW to me over the camera and anything else......

7. randomusername macrumors 6502

I don't think that. I believe the camera will be in the next generation iPod Touch, no matter what Microsoft does to the Zune. The iPod Touch was clearing planned to have a camera, as seen in the tear-down and case leaks, but I think it was pulled out for at least one of these reasons.

1. Apple thinks they can still milk the iPod Touch before they have to make any major improvements/new features.
    People are still going to buy the iPod touch. 20 million sold in just two years? That's a huge success. But the iPod Nano, as Apple has stated, isn't as big as it used to be and they need to make it big or it'll die out like the Classic is doing. The FM radio and camera was the Nano's last hope. The Touch doesn't need saving, it's only growing, so Apple didn't need for the third generation to be a major update.

2. The VGA video-only camera isn't good enough for the iPod Touch.
    For a device the size of the Nano, that camera is great. I doubt they could fit anything better in there without increasing the overall size of the device. But the iPod Touch is meant to be an iPhone without a cellular connection. Everything the Touch has, the iPhone has and they're both equally good (except for the speakers). And the iPhone has a fairly good camera, which you can't fit into the Touch. If the camera in the Touch is a lowly, fixed focus VGA video-only camera and not a 3 megapixel, autofocus camera with both stills and video, then it's not good enough for the Touch.

3. Manufacturing problems.
    This could be it, but once the problem's fixed I don't think a camera will be in it until next September.

Apple says you don't need a camera in the iPod Touch, just like how they say you don't need an iPod with video. But they actually have reasons sometimes, even if they won't tell you what those reasons are. Don't believe them saying the Touch is meant for gaming or the Touch would then cannibalize the iPhone.

8. Dieder macrumors member

9. Discostu7 macrumors member

Here's the hidden features in the iPod Touch 3G

Complete IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n system with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate),
    and FM radio receiver and transmitter

10. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

I think it's clear, there will be a camera in the Touch once it's really cost effective. They needed to hit that $199/$299/$399 price points and keeping the same thin design.

I think next year you'll see the first major update to the design of the iPhone and iPod touch. Since their release, they have looked pretty much the same. Expect big updates next year. Good thing I was never going to buy this generation anyway. The Nano's are tempting though, that's a slick device...

11. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

You know if you check out the teardown of the 2g it has the same chip without the wifi n.

12. Discostu7 macrumors member

The 2G is unable to be used as a fm transmitter while the 3g has the chip that can.

Now if Apple will be nice to us and grant us all those features that would be nice. Surely it will cost $9.99. We could see them around Macworld (January).

13. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

this is the chip in the ipod 2g http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM4325#tab=features-tab the new one is the same model, but a little newer with the wireless n support.

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

We'll see a Touch with camera before black Friday this year. Otherwise Apple will be sued by a few hundred accessory manufacturers. Significant money has been spent tooling up to produce cases with a camera hole in them.