Ipod Touch 3rd gen or iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ashxf, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ashxf macrumors newbie

ashxf

yes yes i know, not another "Should I get an iPhone or iPod touch" thread, but let's face it, every time there's a feature upgrade on these devices, there's going to be someone who was a fence sitter who is thinking about making the leap.

Here's my situation. I have always wanted an iPhone. I think they are cool and useful devices, but the reality of the situation was that there were at least 35 things (yes I made a list) that the iPhone could not do for the first 2 generations that I thought were serious enough to keep me from making the switch.

I am in school and I work two full jobs, so I needed a device that could do certain things that the iPhone couldn't, like being able to type up research papers on my phone, read pdfs and Microsoft documents, have a dated to-do list, cut and paste, and a multitude of other things that my Palm Treo and Blackberry could do. I won't go into it all now, because it's really not that important anymore.

I graduate in December and and won't need to do schoolwork on the go anyway, but now the current generation of iPhones can do most of what was on my list that kept me from getting one. The app store has been a godsend in fixing alot of the software issues and making programs available that i thought should have been included on the phone from day one.

Now here's my situation:

I am currently on Sprint, have never had a single issue with it, have a Blackberry Curve that is less than a year old and was free with an upgrade (will be one year in December, at which time my contract will also expire) that does everything I want it to, and my phone bill is $65 a month for all the minutes I use talking (less than 200 a month), unlimited data and texting. I love the push email which is free, and the opera browser gives me a better browsing experience than my old Treo, but still nothing like the iPhones. It also has a very nice turn by turn voice GPS, and still and video camera.

If I were to get an iPod touch, and I'm suspecting they will be upgraded in September, just a short time away, I'd get all of the fun of the iPhone with the apps, games and all, but I'd miss out on the connectivity and GPS features, and I'm afraid I'd get frustrated not being able to connect to the Internet. There are scant few wifi hotspots in my area.

On the other hand, I could get an iPhone in December, but it would mean leaving Sprint and my $65 a month for all I need to another network, a 2 year contract and paying about $40 more a month for the same stuff I was getting on Sprint but on a flashier device. And I don't like the thought of discarding a perfectly good and still fairly new Blackberry. If I get a new gadget, i like to try and get at least 2 years out of it. Oh sure I'd sell it on eBay or something, but it still seems wasteful.

Pros and Cons to either decision. What do y'all think?

---Ashley

2. Thatguy555 macrumors newbie

Get the Iphone

3. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

1. Get a used iPod Touch now and resell it in December, then get iPhone 3GS.

2. Get a used iPod Touch now and resell it in Sept/Oct, then get the new iPod Touch 3G and keep your Blackberry with Sprint.

4. dom7 macrumors member

I had an iPod Touch before I bought an iPhone 3G. I was always hunting for Wi-Fi hot spots and was very frustrated not being able to connect to the internet.

You'll love that convenience from the iPhone...

5. ashxf thread starter macrumors newbie

ashxf

The biggest things keeping me from getting an iPhone have been:

1) It was not able to do several things i wanted to justify swapping my Blackberry for it.

2) The plan price was atrocious in comparison to my Sprint monthly bill. Over the length of a 2 year contract, with Sprint I will pay $1,544.88 for all the minutes I use, unlimited data and texting. To get the same thing on AT&T over a 2 year contract, I will spend $2,376. Going from $65 a month to $99 a month for minutes I won't use and the GPS navigator feature isn't included in the data plan is difficult to swallow.

Situation #1 so far has been resolved with the iPhone. Situation #2 has not. If I could get 200 minutes, unlimited texting, GPS navigator and unlimited data for around $75 a month, I'd do it.

With an ipod touch, I could leave the GPS and internet to my blackberry and get all the fun apps, videos and music on the iPod touch.

But it would irritate me to not always be able to surf the web on it.

(sigh)

Maybe i should just flip a coin.

Wasn't AT&T talking some cheaper iPhone plans?

---Ashley

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You mentioned in your initial post that you are about to graduate--do you have a job lined up? Even if you do, will you be able to afford the iphone plan easily if you get it?

Also keep in mind that AT&T service is astoundingly terrible in many locations. In NY, I frequently drop calls and the internet doesn't always connect like it should. I realize in other places that its more reliable -- but I'd check that out in your area first. Like you, I had Sprint and never had a problem with their coverage (although their customer service was horrible). That being said, I do like the convenience of my iPhone and it has been very useful to me in many ways a conventional phone never was.

Even with an iPhone I'm thinking about picking up a touch if the updates are tempting enough in September. :) I travel frequently and have found that a dedicated device for watching video would be very useful.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

8. ashxf thread starter macrumors newbie

ashxf

yeah in my area AT&T service can be spotty and that's not cool when a hurricane hits and the only messages that will go through are text messages. During the last hurricane, my manager who has an iPhone had a hell of a time getting ahold of everyone she needed to, and I never had a problem. That does make me a tad nervous. Still, if the plan were cheaper I'd still consider it.

I do graduate in December and if I can manage finish paying off my student loan, I'll have some extra money I could allot to a cell phone bill that would have previously gone to the student loan. I may just have to say no iPhone until I'm finished paying off the student loan. And yes I do have a job, so that's not really an issue. It's the principle of the thing. I've been "spoiled" by having everything i require for $65 a month. I find the iPhone plan, even at it's cheapest, overpriced.

I may just wait until September and see what they do to the itouches, and if there aren't enough upgrades to warrant getting a new one, get a second gen from eBay to carry around for a year or so until I get a reasonable amount of usage out of my blackberry (another year or so) and pay off my student loan, then get the iPhone, by which time the 4th generation of iPhone should be out.

Getting an unlocked iPhone from ebay isn't an option, it wouldn't work on the Sprint network.

---Ashley

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

an unlocked iPhone WILL work as it would be UNLOCKED to ANY network

10. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

keep your BlackBerry and wait for iPod Touch 3G

that's what everybody is doing right now

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, it wouldn't. It is unlocked to all GSM networks, not all networks in general.

12. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

My dilemma as well. My contract with tMobile is up in Dec. I have gone through the pros and cons of the iPhone. Now waiting to see what the new Ipod touch has and then I will make my decision.
    I will sell my 1st Gen iPod touch either way and get one of those two devices.

13. ashxf thread starter macrumors newbie

ashxf

Scotty, I'd be interested in what you decide, since that's what I'm going to do. I won't make any decision either way until after September when, hopefully, the pod touches will be upgraded.

Andybno1: Sprint is not a GSM network, an unlocked iphone will not work on it. Verizon, yes, Sprint, no.

---Ashley

14. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Verizon is CDMA as well so it wouldn't work with them unfortunately.

15. hampstenj macrumors newbie

here's an idea that you may look into. One thing you said was on the internet, well with you on Sprint and using a blackberry you have 3G data plan I would assume, well you could get the new mi-fi wireless hotspot for Sprint, it would use the Data network as a wireless hotspot that the ipod touch wifi could connect to, which SHOULD give you internet access everywhere you go as long as you have the mi-fi card with ya. You'd still won't have GPS I will assume but I don't have a touch or iphone either. Of course that is unless Apple puts a GPS chip in the new ipod touch(highly unlikely though).

Sprint mifi- http://mobilebusiness.sprint.com/br...mifi?id9=SEM_Google_P_Sprint_Mobile_Broadband

16. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

You could get the unlocked iPhone and head to T-Mobile where you would sadly suffer from terrible edge speeds that make me want to bang my head on the pavement :)

The good thing is your bill would be about the same as Sprint. The iPhone doesn't work on TMO's 3g network.

17. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Glad we got a few months to figure this out.

18. ashxf thread starter macrumors newbie

ashxf

Actually I already looked into that and other mobile wifi's, and I'd be paying an EXTRA $50 a month for the service on Sprint and not much cheaper on other networks, even Virgin's pay as you go option. At that point, the iPhone becomes the cheaper option. Just not worth it. :(

Too bad though cause that could have worked.

---Ashley

19. villageindian macrumors member

I was going to say Tetherberry and then I realized that you needed a PC.

But you can try this that I came across. No idea on whether it will work. Good luck and let us know.

20. ashxf thread starter macrumors newbie

ashxf

OK so if I'm reading this correctly, that little gadget you posted will plug into my blackberry and create a wifi hotspot, and it will use my existing data plan, no extra charges? If this is the case, then this might be my solution and the deciding factor. If I can plug this thing into my Blackberry 8330 Curve and use my existing data plan to create a wifi hotspot for an ipod touch to connect to, this would certainly seal the deal for me...ipod touch it would be.

If i am incorrect anywhere in here, it would be appreciated if someone could point it out. My flags are going up about "too good to be true."

Of course, if this IS the case, this could be a great thing for alot of ipod touch users who are tired of constantly searching for wifi hotspots.

---Ashley

21. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Welcome aboard Ashley... I'm in the same boat as you :confused:

Only thing that I know I will not do, is... I will not get an iPhone till it is on Verizon. The price & service for the iPhone 3Gs on AT&T is not an option for me, so I will most likely be purchasing a 3rd Gen iPod Touch when they come out. I think you either try getting an unlocked iPhone, or wait to purchase the next Touch. The BlackBerry Curve you have seems to give you no problems with a great price - and it's just a great phone as well.

What is your major reason for wanting the iPhone 3Gs? ...safari, apps, etc???

And what is you major drawback? (...it seems like price)

CrackBookPro:cool:

22. ashxf thread starter macrumors newbie

ashxf

Mostly my reasons for wanting the iphone are the apps and great web browsing. And yes I am happy with the Blackberry and the Sprint $65 a month plan, AT&T's pricing is just not worth me making the leap. If only the plans were cheaper. I'm not sure the cool factor is worth an extra $1,200 over the life of the contract. But if I get an ipod touch, it would irk me not being able to surf the net with it anywhere I wanted. (Like if I'm out and about on vacation)

Sadly the PHS300 mobile wifi isn't an option. Further investigation shows that it requires your carrier's tethering option on your plan, which for Sprint, is another $60 per month which doubles my phone bill. Again, at this point, the iPhone becomes the cheaper option.

Not worth it.

I wish I could find a mobile hotspot that uses my existing unlimited data plan.

---Ashley

23. ashxf thread starter macrumors newbie

ashxf

Has anyone heard of Joiku? Could this work as a mobile hotspot?

http://www.joikushop.com/

http://www.geardiary.com/2008/07/21/my-ipod-touch-3g/

I'm still trying to find out how this works exactly. My phone isn't supported yet but it could be in the near future. I am also trying to confirm that it uses the existing data plan of a phone and not the added on expensive tethering services.

---Ashley

24. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I think you should just stay with what you got then. No matter what, you will take a hit in price for the iPhone.

Seems like there is two options for you...

First, you buy the Touch and get the apps you want(but no superior anywhere mobile web browsing). Second option, you buy the iPhone, and get everything you want, but have to pay the premium.

So, my next question :D

Throwing cost to the side... Would is a bigger priority? ...the apps or the web browsing experience?

If the superior web browsing experience is #1 - you need to pay the premium ;) ...If the apps are #1 - get a Touch when they come out late Summer/early Fall.

I am getting a 3rd Gen Touch(if it debuts with a camera & bigger storage), and will be anxiously awaiting for the so-called Verizon iPhone.

...hope that helps :)

CrackBookPro:cool:

25. ashxf thread starter macrumors newbie

ashxf

Well it's truly difficult to say what is or is not priority. If I could answer that, I wouldn't have this current dilemma.:D

I've played with several iPhones of friends, so I know how the web browsing experience is, as well as the ability to watch YouTube. (entire movies on the go) I haven't really had the chance to play too much with many apps, though, except for a few games my manager has loaded on her phone. I do, however, know of several apps I'd like to have, some of which would require a wifi connection, most of which don't, just based on their descriptions, though I really don't know how much I'd end up using them.

If I can get joiku to work on my phone, it would definitely be the ipod touch. The price of the plan is a major motivating factor. That and I don't relish the thought of leaving my long term standing with Sprint for what I feel is an inferior network and a plan that charges $40 a month more for what i already have for $65/month.

Nothing will be decided for me until September when i see what they do to the itouches.

---Ashley