iPod Touch 3rd gen screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iBryton, Jan 6, 2011.

1. iBryton macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My 3rd generation iPod touch has a craz in the screen. Where can I spent the least amount of money to buy a new screen and how the hell would I install it?

2. lanulos, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

lanulos macrumors regular

Thing is, its not just a piece of glass, it's a touch screen. The touch sensitive layer, called a digitizer, is directly attached to the back of the glass. The whole thing would have to be replaced. I have used iResQ before and they do a pretty good job. They would want $75 to replace it which they say is a "special price" but I'm betting that's more than you had in mind. I saw the glass+digitizer itself for $42 (iDemiGods) but installing it is non-trivial. Another question is whether the LCD screen itself is damaged; it is under the digitizer layer.

3. lanulos macrumors regular

4. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

well i did find out my device was actually second..

5. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

6. lanulos macrumors regular

I don't think the home button is part of it. It extends through it to the system board.

7. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

ACK. Don't mess with it yourself, take it to apple and they might offer to get it repaired or just give you a new one.