iPod touch 3rd gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SnowLeopard2008, Feb 17, 2009.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

So I sold my iPod touch 1G today for $160 (bought for $200) and was going to pay the difference for the 2G, but then I saw on the buyer's guide that the iPod touch is almost due for a refresh. Anyone know of this? I really don't want to purchase an iPod touch and have it be refreshed like a month later. I just bought a BlackBerry Pearl and 8GB microSD card so I'm using that for music. Should I wait out the month or so, or splurge? I just need some opinions.

2. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

the ipod touch gen. 2 was released last september, i highly date a new one will be released in the next few months.. End of the year might show some revisions.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

The 2Gen did just come out a few months ago, and if there is going to be an update anytime soon it would most likely only just be an upgraded memory chipset to a 64GB rather than 32GB. My guess is that a whole new unit won't come out until fall of this year, like last year. I'm saying this because before they add anymore into the touch there are most likely going to release a new iPhone first. I have the 2Gen Touch and love it.

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Hmm... good point. I was hoping at least maybe Apple will lower the price of the 8GB or be replaced by the 16GB model. What do you think?

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

They just lowered the prices in September, so I don't think so.

6. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea I know. What I meant was that if Apple released a 64GB model, will they discontinue the 8GB and sell the 16GB model for $229?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

nand prices are on the rise.

8. kshat28 macrumors member

Its gonna come in SEPTEMBER they've never lower the prices on ipods, but once a year.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well, that'd still be lowering the price of the 16GB and 32GB.
    I wouldn't count on it but there's still a small chance.

Don't be too sure about that.
    If they release a 64GB model, there will be four different iPod touch's to choose from, I don't believe Apple has ever had four of the same iPod with different amounts of storage.

10. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

When they brought in the 32 GB they introduced it at $499 for a while didn't they?

They'll likely keep the prices where they are for a while and just sell a 64 GB model for $500, at least initially. I don't see the 8 GB going anywhere for a while still.

SLC

11. iTouchLover macrumors member

Ok well...

Ok well I might be buying a new iPhone when my plan ends with T-Mobile and switch over to AT&T for the iPhone. Do you suggest I should wait.:apple:

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

If you are not in any hurry to get a new phone, waiting would probably be the better thing to do. Nothing is known yet, but the most logical would be a new iPhone unit released middle of July. Announcement probably middle of June. It all depends on if you need a phone as soon as your contract is up, or if you can wait a little longer, assuming you contract is up before July.. Just my 2 cents.

13. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm in the same predicament. I also have a T-Mobile contract that expires next Jan/Feb. I had $235, and I added $160 to that amount after selling my iPod touch. I could have bought a brand new iPhone 2G (Not 3G) 8GB and unlocked it for T-Mobile but I chose a BlackBerry Pearl because I run a YouTube channel about technology (link in sig) and thought it'd be a good idea to inject some variety to the Apple-related content. It all depends on your needs.

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Other than more memory and a lower relative price, there are only a couple of things left Apple could improve on the Touch to make current model owners envious.

AMOLED screens are showing up on some competing players. They use less energy and look better. I'd love a Touch with an AMOLED screen.

There are many location-based apps, and turn-by-turn GPS is already available. Stick a GPS chip in the Touch, please.

Make the screen bigger. Fill up the whole face of the Touch with screen. I could see a 4.3" to 4.5" widescreen with the Home button moved to the edge.

Haptic touch feedback is showing up on competing screens. It's harder to imagine a great implementation with multitouch, but Apple should have the talent to amaze us with it.

15. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Apple will trash the 8gb model if they release a 65gb one.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

65 is kind of a random number, and not a power of 2...

17. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

i meant 64** typo :rolleyes:

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Doubt it will happen. Apple has made the firmware interchangeable - in that regardless of the generation, the same firmware can be installed (unlike the other iPod models, which have various hardware restrictions). Changing the screen size will mean the OS will have to be rewritten to suit the new screen...not to mention that every app currently in the App Store will be useless, as they won't be able to fit the new resolution.

And in the end the iPod touch OS is just a slightly altered version of what the iPhone gets, so we'd have to see it happen to the iPhone before it happens to the touch.

19. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The iPod touch and iPhone run the same OS, there are just less apps, or altered features as you said, in the iPod touch.

20. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I didn't say new resolution, I said new size. It's easy to find screens of different sizes with the same resolution. And AMOLED or LCD won't need a change in firmware either. I've got players with 3" screens and players with 3.3" screens that have the same resolution and can easily play the same video formated for that resolution.

On the other hand, Apple's 480x320 screen is unique, with most of the competitors using 480x272 16/9 screens. A 4" screen with 480x320 may be hard to find. Maybe they should go right to a 5.4" 480x320 screen. :)

I will give them some credit in their screen format choice though. With videos being usually 4:3 (1.3333) or 16:9 (1.7777), the Touch/iPhone screen's 1.5 ratio is right in the middle, meaning videos in either format can be stretched to fill the screen with the least possible distortion.

21. brax.j macrumors regular

The screen size is staying the same and so is the resolution the only thing that will happen before September is a $499 64GB with the 8 GB staying the same price.

22. bingbong951 macrumors newbie

There wont be a refresh until September. But there is always a chance that apple will make one with more GB...