Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

Now, everyone and their cousin knows the older models of iPod touch are being passed up for multitasking, but wait- THERE'S MORE!!!

As I type this from my iPod 2G, I am ever so happy to say that the setting for a homescreen picture is not there! :D

Now, naturally, such things take LOTS of processing power, so we wouldn't want to have such options. Can anyone see some other lovely omissions?

P.S. Steve- I thought we were friends!

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Do you know if its possible to change the home screen wallpaper on a 2G ipod touch? I can't seem to find the setting.

yodinyer

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

As I type this from my iPod 2G, I am ever so happy to say that the setting for a homescreen picture is not there! :D

I don't quite understand this line. That particular setting isn't where? So is it possible or not to change the homescreen picture on a 3rd gen 8gb ipod touch (after upgrading to os4)?

Other features that I'm hoping will make it to 3rd gen 8gb touches is the social gaming network thing that's planned, and the app folders.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What I still don't get is how the Gen 1 devices don't get OS 4 when they have the same CPU and ram as the 3G iPhone. Hopefully someone will alter the 3G firmware to work on the older Gen 1 devices.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Jailbroken 3G iPod Touches need to be rejailbroken upon every startup. There is a way to startup without a computer but that way is not available to the general public, yet.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
So what? This is unexpected?

Previous generations of the touch are comparatively slow and while multitasking might theoretically run on them, it would probably be boggy as hell. People dispute this by saying that jailbroken 3G iphones can record video just fine, but the framerate is much slower. It's not the same.

I don't want Apple to compromise advancement for the sake of making every development backwards compatible.

When my 3rd gen touch can't support future updates I'm not going to come on here and moan about it. I'll be perfectly happy it still does what it's always done and when I want more I'll upgrade.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
I don't quite understand this line. That particular setting isn't where? So is it possible or not to change the homescreen picture on a 3rd gen 8gb ipod touch (after upgrading to os4)?

Other features that I'm hoping will make it to 3rd gen 8gb touches is the social gaming network thing that's planned, and the app folders.

I meant what I said, the English language is not nearly that tricky. :rolleyes:

You cannot set the homescreen, the place which is behind your applications, to a picture without a third generation device. The 8GB 3rd gen is the same as the 2G, but who knows, you might get lucky.

Previous generations of the touch are comparatively slow and while multitasking might theoretically run on them, it would probably be boggy as hell. People dispute this by saying that jailbroken 3G iphones can record video just fine, but the framerate is much slower. It's not the same.

I don't want Apple to compromise advancement for the sake of making every development backwards compatible.

When my 3rd gen touch can't support future updates I'm not going to come on here and moan about it. I'll be perfectly happy it still does what it's always done and when I want more I'll upgrade.

Don't be a douche. Setting a wallpaper doesn't require a faster processor, and neither did many of the accessibility options added in 3.0 (inverting colors, zooming, and battery percentage, for instance).

If the software limits the hardware's abilities, then we have the right to complain when features are held back. Nobody forced you to look at this thread, and it's not your place to tell us all how to behave, so why don't you just shut it, mmmk? :D

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Not in the hands of someone who can handle it. However, your convoluted writing style leaves much to be desired - in particular, clarity.:cool:

We're on a technology forum. My spelling was correct, my grammar was correct, and my facts were correct, and now you're going to get picky about my writing style?

I hereby concede a lol to you sir, and hope to God you aren't serious. lol. :p

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008

The original iPhone, 1G iPod touch, and iPhone 3G have the same specifications. The iPhone 3G is getting a slightly crippled version of OS 4 that does not include multitasking, which is believed to be the most hardware demanding feature of OS 4.

From what I've heard about the new firmware, there's a bug that isn't allowing the feature to appear. Some iPhone 3G users have reported seeing the option, while others have not. (the iPhone 3G and touch 2G will be receiving the same firmware)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.