iPod touch 4 8GB vs 32GB

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Messi1221, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Messi1221 macrumors newbie

Hi, I´m new here so if I´m doing something wrong, please tell me.

I had an iPhone 3g but i gave it to my mum and bought the X10 mini pro. It´s really boring and i regret that i gave away the iPhone, so I want to buy the new iPod touch. In the other hand, it gave me the opportunity to buy the new iPod.

The question is which one I should buy. I HAVE SEARCHED here but i want to be more specific.

I don´t have a lot of songs, maybe 100-150, 4-5 pages of apps. I will use iBooks, record some videos and take photos of course, but i won´t use Facetime a lot. Safari and Mail are really important. It sounds like the 8GB is enough but I´ve heard that iOS 4 fills up 1-2 GB so..

I live in Sweden and compared to other countries Europe and US its quite expensive. Money isn´t important, but i rather have the 8GB if it´s enough for me. What do you think?

One last question. I just want it confirmed, does 8GB have all the same things like 32 and 64? A4, HD and all the new things, except GB of course?

2. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Personally I think you'll be just fine with the 8GB version unless you suddenly discover penchant for movies. As far as I know all new iPod Touches are identical apart from capacity. They used to give out microphone-equipped earphones but not anymore! :(

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

The firmware does take up a fair amount of your capacity though, iOS4.1 for the new 4g touch is a whooping 594MB almost 260MB larger than iOS4.0.2 for my 2nd gen touch and that is in its compressed state, so you may end up with only a little over 6GB free space to play with.

There is no difference hardware wise with the current models other than capacity. I think if you don't have a large library of media or are happy to rotate your music, apps etc. every so often then go with the 8GB, the only thing is that it may limit the amount of camera usage at any one time as the HD video if it is anything like the iPhone uses around 70MB of storage per minute of video.

4. Messi1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for replying.

I was worried that it was difference but I´m happy that this time it isn´t, except the capacity ofc.

You have convinced me so I have ordered the 8 GB. I actually did it two days ago, but I will not cancel the order. I´m so excited!

Thanks again

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Right, because the mic is built-in now.

6. forcetactic macrumors 6502

8gb should be more than enough space for normal usage.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For $70 more you get 4 times the storage space. To me, it is worth the money.

8. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I thought the same a year ago.:) After one year I would take the 32GB. You can subtract 1 GB for formating and firmware so you have only 7GB for use in reality.

9. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

This.

If you want extra space for video in case you ever want to buy your favorite TV show or a few movies, then get the 32GB.

Edit: Nevermind, you already ordered. :eek:

10. Messi1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have ordered but I can cancel the order and buy the 32GB (I think?)

If I really needed it I would have bought the 32GB but I really dont think it´s worth it. In the other hand, I´ve heard that iOS4 will take 1-2 GB and HD videos a lot too. I don´t know ;(

11. suburbia macrumors 6502

If money is not a deciding factor-- why wouldn't you want the 32GB? You may think 8GB is enough for now, but I guarantee you that once you have the Touch and start to use it, you'll be glad you went with the 32GB. You never know when you may take more videos; include more Playlists; include more games, etc.

Cancel/revise your order and go with the 32GB since it's still pending.:)

12. Messi1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I´m thinking is that if I buy 32GB, I will use 6 GB and then just download crap just too feel that I made the right decesion. Ok lol it sounds weird but if I buy 32 and wont use it, it will be a shame. Better to be on the safe side? I´m leaning towards 32....I will make my decesion tomorrow. Thanks for the answers!

13. suburbia macrumors 6502

It's 4x the storage capacity for less than $100 (USD). Why you would want to limit yourself to only a mere 8GB of storage (and less than that really with the iOS)?

As far as loading it with crap; Truth is, no one really "needs" the Touch-- or any of the apps, games, playlist, videos, etc. we load it with. It's all really"crap", isn't it? So as long as you're indulging in a toy (and money's not a deciding factor)-- which is what the Touch really is, why not indulge in the better and bigger 32GB version? Hell, go with the 64GB. :)

14. THE dAY macrumors 6502

8 gigs is way too small especially when you find out how amazing the HD video recording is and start wanting to shoot video.

Remember, ~13 minutes of recording video takes up ~1 gig of space.

15. Old Blue macrumors member

I use my 32 gig to hold environmental regulations - both on the state and federal level and for the many permits that cover our facilties. Along w/ tables for sampling particular parameters.

It depends on what you want your touch to do - but it's really nice to have that extra space to do so and therefore that option ;)

16. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

But the remote isn't. It was really useful. :eek:

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'm trying to decide between the 32GB and 64GB myself. My 32GB 3G is full as it is. But then again, I could decide I don't really need my whole 25GB music collection on it, let alone games.

18. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

@the OP

1) 4 x capacity for only 70€ (or, even better in the US, only 70$ more) more

2) 720p video recording (about 4,5gb per hour on iPhone 4 I read somewhere)

3) "Myst" for iOS is about 1gb alone :)

-----> get a 32gb if you're not on a budget