iPod touch 4 outdoor video mic test...heavy wind.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skiltrip, Sep 9, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

i took some test video today outside with the front cam. I was walking outside, and the wind was really kicking up. I actually couldn't really hear myself talking all that well while I was walking. The wind was pretty much blowing right opposite the direction I was walking, meaning it was hitting the mic head on, and I'm very surprised at how the audio turned out. I honestly wasn't talking very loud either, as there were other people walking around and I didn't want them to think I was crazy talking to my iPod. ;)

video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAiPlmd2X3c

my first time editing in iMovie on the touch as well. Not sure why it squares off the video, but the sound is the important feature of the video. but i think it also shows off the quality of the video on the front cam too, even though it's not natively 720p.

2. Ipodize macrumors member

Ipodize

That is pretty good audio!

I'd buy the iPod Touch 4 over a Flip any day.

3. ean macrumors newbie

Sounds fine to me, even with the wind hitting the mic...

Thanks for the video! :)

4. Kamakzie macrumors member

5. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Shot on the iPod touch. Editing in iMovie for iPhone/iPod, and uploaded straight to YouTube from there. Also, the touch doesn't really do stereo audio. It only has one mic.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, it definitely picks up the wind, but the voice comes through loud and clear!

Glad that's settled ;):p

7. Warbitrary macrumors regular

Just a though, I might be wrong here:

When I walk against the wind, wind noise is loud because the wind is hitting my ears at a 90° angle. If I walk into the wind with my head turned 90° (so the wind is hitting my ears head-on), I hear much less wind noise.

So I would suggest testing audio with the wind perpendicular to the mic instead of head-on.

8. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I didn't set out to do a wind test. I was just filming for kicks. Then I thought, hey, it's windy, lets see how this mic does!

I just figured since there was already question of how good a mic can possibly be that's on the opposite side from where you talk could be, that this is a good demonstration, that even with big competition from wind noise, it still picks up the person very well.

9. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

That all depends on the angle of your ears in relation to your head !! :D

10. Cat-toy macrumors member

Not bad at all. Glad it finally left Newark :) Got mine today too, and i'm in the city. I need to test out the cam in "real" conditions too. Thanks for sharing that video, it shows realtime conditions. Sometimes you see samples of video or pics in semi ideal settings.