iPod Touch 4 vs iPad Original

Discussion in 'iPad' started by christo930, Apr 12, 2017.

1. christo930 macrumors newbie

I have an iPod Touch 4th gen and it appears to have the same exact hardware as the original iPad, though it seems to only go to ios 5.4 (or something like that) whereas the iPod Touch 4 goes to 6.1.6
    I've been thinking about picking up a used original iPad in the 30-$40 range. Is it a safe assumption that if something can run on the iPod that it can also run on the iPad (since the hardware is the same)?

Is there a website that shows all the apps that have a version compatible with the original iPad and which one them still work?

The main things I want to do with it are:
    Read books
    watch Hulu, Netflix, HBO, AMC, ShoGo and youtube
    Play some light games; Subway surfer, Temple Run, Whale Trail and other simple low end games. (ALL of these run fine on the iPod).
    Am I going to run into trouble trying to do these things? Does the iPad run the same apps as the iPod?

Though I don't want to buy one with a completely dead battery, battery life isn't that much of an issue because I plan on using it in the house near a plug. My iPod Touch 4 still holds a charge 1/2 decent.

Is there anyone here still using an original iPad?

2. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

iPad 1 can only update to iOS 5 whereas iPod touch 4 can update to iOS 6. That makes a HUGE difference in ability to install apps.

In short buying iPad 1 is a big mistake. Get iPad 2 minimum.

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

4. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

In all honesty either of the choices may leave you disappointed. I would just try and find a better avenue. An iPad 2 would be significantly better than an iPad 1 and that is not saying much.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Honestly, I'm not sure you'll be able to find many new apps for either. It might not be a bad purchase if you just want it for watching some videos and some VERY basic web browsing, but I would try to find at least an iPad 2 if I were you.