iPod touch 4g and nokia N8? or iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bosep, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Bosep macrumors regular

Okay... So I had the iphone 4 for awhile but sold it as it gave good money. But I still think I want the iPhone 4... Buuut, the Nokia N8 (with the 12mpix camera) is coming out soon and the camera is really good for a phone so I don't know what too buy(but with sucky software and no good apps). Here's the thing, The N8 _and_ the ipod touch 4g together will cost about the same as one iPhone 4. As symbian (nokia n8) can share wifi to the ipod touch it still got internet, what will I miss on the ipod touch that I can do on the iphone? The negative is that I need to carry 2 devices but good for battery when listening to music on the Ipod touch :).

Am I stupid or smart thinking like this? :p
    ... hmm

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

There is nothing you will miss on the touch that you can't get on the iPhone. The iPhone is superior or equal to the touch in any given category. It doesn't fall into the inferior column in any attribute.

I had an iPhone 4. I had to give it up due to financial issues mostly. I now have an iPod touch 4. I like it, but it's no iPhone. I'd trade my touch for an iPhone 4 in a heartbeat if there was no AT&T bill attached to it.

If I were you, I'd go iPhone. why did you get rid of yours in the first place? That part I don't get.

3. Bosep thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm okay, the only reason I would like the N8 is for the camera (http://blog.gsmarena.com/new-nokia-n8-camera-samples-are-here-ready-to-blow-up-your-mind/) and also, if the phone break it's not as big of a deal :p

Iphone 4 was not for sale in my country at the time when I sold it so it gave much $$$ xD

4. gta50419 macrumors 6502

holy **** @ them pics,what carrier the n8 on?
    tmobile or at&t?

get the n8. that's the only phone i seen that looks better than iphone 4, it just watched a video and it has iphone games too (angry birds,ect)...im getting that as soon as i find a job lol

5. lockstocked macrumors newbie

Thats not stupid at all.

Thats actually a similar setup I've had for a while. I had the original touch and some Nokia phones. I did it for various reasons one being to extend battery life on both as I am big on listening to music. Also I am a texter so I got a phone with a physical qwerty (fat fingers couldn't type that well on iphone keyboards and rather have physical references)

For me, the only thing that my phone seemed to lack that I would have missed if I didn't have my touch was the plethora of games that the app store has. However that could improve in the future due to its use of the QT programming platform.

And remember the N8 has some other perks such as free navigation and maps in over 70 countries. It does not need to rely on a cloud either as you can store the maps on the device itself. Theres also USB on the go where you can connect a flash drive to it. HDMI out with dolby surround. Its a media powerhouse for sure.

It also has the potential to be a great gaming device if more titles are going to be introduced. It actually has a state of the art GPU and has even scored higher than an ipad on graphical benchmarks.

But yes, it is probably one of the first phones that can be truly a point and shoot replacement.

You can also do, as you said, facetime through the nokia's 3g for facetime on the go (just don't do it for too long. I hear you can really rack up data quickly doing so)

I feel it would definitely be a good setup

6. lockstocked macrumors newbie

No carrier has officially picked it up yet but you can always buy it unlocked (and maybe get a cheaper data plan). Word is at&t might have it but I am not sure.

However, this phone has both AT&T and t-mobile 3g bands so you can use it on both without worrying about speeds.

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Usually I don't want to go anywhere near a Symbian device, but I like the idea. The N8 does two things well: taking quality pics and giving you free built-in GPS navigation without needing to use the data plan, two big weaknesses of the iPod Touch. Also you should be able to use the Bluetooth DUN to get the data access or through wi-fi. However how much will it cost? Often unlocked devices cost a lot more than it should and it might not be worthwhile if the N8 costs more than the top Android devices.

8. cankid96 macrumors newbie

yea i was sort of in the same position as you, except with a samsung galaxy S. And i decided to go with the smartphone + ipod touch combo. Why?

Well the battery life. once i get my ipod, im going to use it as my main music and game device, while keep my galaxy s for all the essentials. Also i wanted an android and an apple device soo....

That was my main reason but there are other reasons to get an N8. Its arguably the best device in nokia's high-end line up and while symbian is eh, the N8 is a device that standds out above the rest.

9. enfanteribl macrumors member

The Nokia's Ovi maps are a great feature, and these can be used off-line, so you can avoid roaming charges when abroad. This is something that Nokia has over the competition, I think. There are some new Nokia smartphones announced today also. I really like the iPod Touch, esp the new one (really slim) so the two devices can make a lot of sense.

10. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Besides having two devices, and more battery life, there is one particular advantage to getting the iTouch instead of the iPhone; Capacity. Obviously, this is assuming you're anything like me with over 1k apps and gigs of music - then there's the movie player... :eek:

That said; a couple of reasons to prefer the iPhone over the N8:
    - SW updates and support. Nokia was always bad at this, with different versions for different carriers, and some phones / paths being abandoned with just a couple of minor updates and a multitude of bugs. Apple's track record is comparatively incredible.
    - Symbian. It always seems to have another bunch of bugs and stability problems. With the battery no longer being removable, I'd worry about being able to restart when unresponsive.

And if you're just after the camera, ask yourself why - as always, more MPix isn't better; admittedly not having given a scientific study myself, I'd presume the HDR abilities of the iP4 will produce results more than sufficient, if not better than the images from the N8.

I don't know if cost is an issue, but it looks like the N8 isn't far off the cost of an iPhone, so the separates option is likely to be more costly. Of course; you end up with twice as many devices, so...

11. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Not only the Nokia N8 has more megapixels than any other camera phone, it also has the largest sensor on the market and it's not even close: the N8 camera sensor more than doubles the surface area of the iPhone 4 sensor and supposedly has a pretty decent optics as well. The iPhone 4's camera might be decent for a phone but the N8's camera will likely to be the only one that can compete with compact cameras.

12. awmazz macrumors 65816

For me, all-in-one convenience for the same price is the go. I did the same as you're contemplating, got an iPod Touch for the apps as well as a Motorola phone/camera. Carrying both got old really quick, as in right from the get-go. It's well past time to upgrade both now, with one iPhone 4.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Personally, I don't like to have too many devices. I really like the idea of the iPhone being so well integrated with my computer; setup takes very little time and so does maintenance.

There's also the fact that no other OS has satisfied me. I really wanted to like Android, and I even gave Blackberry more than a fair shake. Ultimately my desire to have a well designed product and intuitive OS trumped the features other phones could offer. Sadly, it seems that this isn't going to change for a while. As each iteration of the iPhone's competitors is released, their features continue to get better and better (whether it's in camera quality, pre-installed maps, or connectivity advantages), while the iPhone continues to become more and more polished.

For now I think that there is no better option for those who are like me and don't want to invest a lot of time in maintaining their devices. However, if you are the type of person who doesn't mind investing that time, then the Nokia might offer you more than the iPhone can. It's all a matter of weighing what's important to you.

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Symbian is the worst smartphone OS I have ever had the displeasure of using. If you're a masochist, feel free to buy a phone running it, but don't say I didn't warn ya.