iPod Touch 4G Audio Recording Stats

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tralston, Oct 20, 2010.

1. tralston macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting the new iPod Touch 4th generation for many reasons, one of which is the built-in mic. My questions are (in respect to class lecture recording):

1. In the Voice Memo app, can you get a good quality sound recording if the ipod is laying down flat (since the mic is on the back)?

2. How many hours can you record off a full battery charge continuously? If not continuously, does there need to be a break of X minutes before it can record again? -- Note: I ask this because sometimes I have classes that are an hour long for 4 or 5 hours straight.

3. Can you turn off the screen while in recording mode in order to conserve battery power and thus prolong the recording time?

4. Have any of you used an external microphone with this iPod model that has given both good results and a reasonable recording time?

5. Some of my teachers give their lectures in a very large room with a lapel-mic. The "amplified sound" as coming through the lecture hall's speakers can sometimes be echo-ish and sound weird on a recording. Any tips?

6. Are there any apps that specialize in lecturer/speaker style recordings (as opposed to interview style where the mic is very close to the audio source) where the audio source is further away and might be using their own mic/speaker/amp system for the audience? Maybe an app that uses some kind of noise cancellation tech?

Sorry for the amount of detail. Let me know if anything crosses your mind.

2. eddy2099 macrumors member

I record a 55 minutes sermon and I did not really see the battery usage but it did not dent the battery a lot, probably under 5% and that is even with the screen on most of the time as I was referring to the bible apps which I have on and taking notes. The pastor would use a mic and the pick up from the various speakers in the church turn out quite clear.

You can let the screen off, it would still record so that is not an issue.

As for lying the ipod touch flat, I am not sure if that is a good idea since the mic is at the back. You could probably tilt the ipod touch so the mic is not blocked.

You should be able to record for quite some time with a full charged battery. As for the disk space, a 55 minutes 32 seconds recording, it took up about 26mb. That is about half a mb per minute.

Do not have the answer to the rest of your questions.