Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deathcab4xtina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
I had my iPod all charged up this morning (just received it yesterday) and I played music through the speaker for 45 mins, watched a 10 minute video and added contacts for 30 mins and it seems Ive already used about 20-25% of my battery already, that seems a bit excessive... what are your thoughts?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I had my iPod all charged up this morning (just received it yesterday) and I played music through the speaker for 45 mins, watched a 10 minute video and added contacts for 30 mins and it seems Ive already used about 20-25% of my battery already, that seems a bit excessive... what are your thoughts?

Sounds normal to me. video sucks up a lot of juice. also depends on your screen brightness. and using the internal speaker, i believe is going to use a little more battery than the headphone jack, because you tend to need to have the volume up pretty far to push that little speaker enough to hear it. and 30 minutes straight of having the screen on and typing stuff in.

1/5 of the battery being drained sounds pretty normal to me.

If you think about it, 100% of your battery, based on your examples would be...
50 minutes of video.
2.5 hours of putting contacts in with the screen on the whole time.
3.75 hours of playing music playing thru the internal speaker.

The video and the screen being on are your two biggest culprits. Apples battery life claim is based on your iPod playing music with the screen off.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
double click the home button and make sure you closed out random apps you probably opened when checking out the new touch. That should help significantly..

oh to close out the apps after double clicking the home button, tap and hold on the app. The bottom line is like the taskbar, see what apps you have open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.