iPod Touch 4G Battery Problem Solution

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BASRification, Nov 7, 2010.

1. BASRification, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BASRification macrumors member

So after crawling the forums over the last couple weeks, I've heard some people say they have had great battery life in their Touch 4G and others say they can barely last a day with moderate usage. I was one of those people with horrible battery life.

It was because of WiFi obviously, because Airplane Mode solved all my overnight battery drainage (Yes, I closed all my apps.). I was just kind of sitting in class, and I realized it is because of FaceTime. Yeah, FaceTime. You could think of it as if you were always running Skype. FaceTime always has to be connected to your WiFi network so it can receive calls. However, you can't just "close" FaceTime and expect it to stop transferring data. So to solve this battery issue, all you have to do is disable FaceTime in your settings if you have it setup. After doing this, my iPod still had the same amount of battery life overnight with fetch on and push notifications.

I realize this won't be the solution for everyone but it might help certain people. My theory is that FaceTime is why some people have good battery life and others don't. Some people have FaceTime setup and others don't. Just some food for thought...

2. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

My iPod Touch 2G started having horrible battery life after the iOS 4 upgrade... I ended up switching off Wi-Fi (no use for it) and the battery from 1 day extended to over 10 days or more in idle.

3. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't use facetime yet anyways so I'll see if it helps.

4. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

iPod Touch 4th Gen with WiFi related battery issues reporting in.

Just turned off Facetime, let's see if it helps.

And FYI, 4.2 does NOT currently address the battery issues.

5. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Update: It's been over an hour now and before I turned the FaceTime off the battery would of had a nice chunk missing from it by now and the battery meter hasn't moved.

The big test is leaving it overnight but so far, so good. If this definitely works then thanks much, OP.

6. Scott549 macrumors regular

I think the whole battery life issue relates to wifi -- just turn airplane mode on overnight and when you're not using wifi. I don't think "closing" the apps does anything -- according to Apple the scrolling list at the bottom is just a list of recently used apps.

7. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

So the FaceTime thing helped but didn't completely solve it. Went to bed at 2am with 100% battery. Woke up around 7 and the iPod was dead.

FFUUU-

8. shukero, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

shukero macrumors newbie

Just tried it out, and we'll see what happens :D

9. patp Guest

this absolutely works! turned off facetime and my touch keeps it's charge. no more rapid draining. a full charge will easily go 2 days + now.

10. Panther71 macrumors regular

How many hours are you using your iPod and getting two days out of a charge? I don't lose any charge when not using my Touch, but only get a few hours of continual use. Is this normal?

11. patp Guest

2 to 3 hours of music. 1 to 2 hours of internet browsing, maybe a few miuntes of games a day. thats typical usage for me. Ever since turning off Facetime I can get 2 + days without charging. It was a huge difference I noticed right away.

Before, my touch would be at 20% by the end of the day. Now its barely even close to 60%.

12. Panther71 macrumors regular

I didn't realize just having the Facetime feature on would effect battery life. Since I don't use it I just assume it wasn't a concern. I turned it off on my iPod. I'll see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

13. BASRification thread starter macrumors member

Well, my idea makes sense. FaceTime is like an equivalent of Skype (always connected) but it always runs in the background. So the only way to prevent it from connecting is to manually turn off the FaceTime service.