iPod Touch 4G excessive memory usage? please help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alex-7658, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Alex-7658 macrumors newbie

I currently own an 8GB iPod Touch 4G, and at the moment I only have 12 apps, only 1 of which is a game, but yet when i plug my iPod into itunes it says that I have 3.5GB of apps on my ipod :S and my memory keeps going down. One day it would be 1.5GB remaining, then a week or maybe 2 weeks later it would go down to 1.1GB without me adding anything new to my iPod. My iPod has been doing this for a few months now. At one point it said I had 2.5GB remaining before this whole memory usage.. thing started occurring, then after a few weeks it went below 2GB and i hadn't even bought anything new on my iPod. Every few days I restart my ipod, and keep deleting apps, and I even reduced the bit rate on most of my songs to 128kbps, but that still only frees up about 0.2GB at the most, then a week or so later, it goes back down again. So all in all, ive been deleting apps, deleting music and reducing it's size and somehow ive lost over 1GB. Im currently at 1.5GB remaining after removing over 20 songs and reducing a further 20 to 128kbps and I currently have 107 songs on my iPod,and ive just deleted 3 apps, all of which were games, but I still somehow have 3.5GB of apps on my ipod :S
    Im confused and I really don't know what to do, can someone help?

2. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

My guess is that one or more of your apps are storing large amounts data. Do you have an app that stores video? I know the TED app can (but it can also be deleted from within that app).

Another (outside) possibility is loads of Safari data cached.

3. Alex-7658 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well none of my Apps that I own right now seem to store any videos, and I always clear the history, cookies and cache from Safari after every time I use which isn't that often :S

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Has nothing to do with Safari.

--

Since you only have 12 apps, would you mind listing them here?

5. Alex-7658 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well since replying my available memory has gone down to less than 500MB and ive since deleted 2 apps.

my current apps are: Kik messenger, twitter, meebo app, omegle, instagram, facebook, wallpapers HD, Ultimate Guitar tabs, virtual pool (my only game), OMG facts. and the summary on itunes says that i have 4.5GB of apps installed which sounds like a lot for only 10 apps.

6. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Could be a problem with iTunes. Try uninstalling then reinstalling it. What your iPod says is probably accurate, but reinstalling iTunes could fix the issue.

7. Alex-7658 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think that it's iTunes because it still says I have less than 500MB left when I go into the settings on my iPod its self.