iPod touch iPod Touch 4G iOS6 Support

technojj123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2012
I recently bought a white iPod Touch 4G (Latest Generation) and wondered weather it will be supported by iOS6 since it has an A4 and only 256MB of RAM.

Any thoughts?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I recently bought a white iPod Touch 4G (Latest Generation) and wondered weather it will be supported by iOS6 since it has an A4 and only 256MB of RAM.

Any thoughts?
If the iPhone 4 is supported then the iPod touch 4G will be supported.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thats besides the point,Point is it won't be a good idea because it will lag.
I don't think so. Lag has more to do with what apps you run on it, and what level of multitasking you try to preform on it. My sister has an iPod Touch 4G, and as long as you run well coded apps on it, it doesn't lag. Besides, who actually knows that there will be much in iOS6 that is RAM intensive?

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I don't think so. Lag has more to do with what apps you run on it, and what level of multitasking you try to preform on it. My sister has an iPod Touch 4G, and as long as you run well coded apps on it, it doesn't lag. Besides, who actually knows that there will be much in iOS6 that is RAM intensive?
Because iOS 5 was much more ram intensive as is iOS 6 will be worse.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I also have an iPod Touch 4G, and honestly I would love to see iOS6 support for it.. But It might be a bit of a stretch as hardware wise It is equivalent to the 1st Generation iPad which was released on April 2010..

So I wouldn't be surprised If we see no support for iOS6 on devices using the Apple A4 Processor..

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I also have an iPod Touch 4G, and honestly I would love to see iOS6 support for it.. But It might be a bit of a stretch as hardware wise It is equivalent to the 1st Generation iPad which was released on April 2010..

So I wouldn't be surprised If we see no support for iOS6 on devices using the Apple A4 Processor..
Its not the A4 processor at fault it is the shortage of RAM in your iPod touch.

Leehro

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
I'm sure it will get an update, it's the current model. Keep in mind they're still selling the iPhone 3GS, and that should get an update too.

tehpea

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2011
Portugal
I am certain iOS6 will run on the touch. Looking at the rumours that have been surfacing, it doesn't look like anything groundbreaking is coming for the device, and even if Apple announce something superb tomorrow, which will require lots of processing power, they'll just disable it or make it not run at its full potential. The 4th Gen touch is the latest device from its line so it'd be foolish to drop support for it.

The 3rd Gen touch might not be able to update though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.