iPod Touch 4G is Going On Mission Major-Spazz-Out

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LeighAnna Jones, Oct 27, 2011.

1. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Whew. Geez.
    So I got this iPod...
    For Christmas last year, because I was an insanely awesome person to everyone, ect.

So it's nearly a year old. (58 days till Christmas!)

Anyways, a few months ago, I noticed my earbuds were broken. They weren't playing music out of the right earbud. I went to the store and bought some new earbuds. (Logical solution, right? WRONG!)
    When I put these in, SAME PROBLEM. No music playing out of the right earbud.

Now I just don't listen to music on the thing, but some other things have been going on with it, such as

1) Bizzare battery drainage. It will be fully charged, I will put it in my bag for a few hours, take it out, and it's dead. A few hours being three to eight hours. Inactive use and then plumb dead with a nice little "Connect to Charger" red icon. And then, when I charge it, after only two minutes it shoots from completely dead to 80% charged. This doesn't happen all the time but too often for comfort.

2) Volume rocker will work, and then later I'll go press the up/down buttons and I get no response from my iPod. I have to re-start it when it does this and that takes about three minutes.

3) Randomly dies on me for no reason whatsoever. It will literally be on 90% charged battery, I'll be playing Cut the Rope or whatever, and the iPod freezes and boots off.

4) CONSTANTLY goes into a death freeze. It will die on me randomly and nothing will turn it back on except for holding home+power for ten seconds.

5) Touch screen spazzes out. On the unlock screen, I will drag my finger across the arrow and it will go forward half a centimeter, and then jump back to the beginning. It will not respond to my touch.

6) Photos aren't showing up in the library. I will take pictures and they won't be in photos when I come back. I have to re-start the app.

So I call these lovely little things "Mission Major-Spazz-Out" and it's not fun. My question is, how do I fix these things? It's not all one big current problem, because they each happen occasionally. The only thing that I can count on happening is the right earbud not playing music. The rest of the stuff comes and goes randomly. Is there any way to ressurect my playing of music at least?

And if I take it to the Apple store, will they replace it as "Factory Defect" because I have never dropped the thing or gotten it wet? It has a dent in the back but that was from a LONG time ago when I left it in my bag without a case on... and it's been months since that happened and this has just started one or two months ago. When it say it's been months since I got the dent I'm literally saying January.

AND... if they do replace it COULD I have the option of having a white one? Or is that out of the question?

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Have you updated to iOS 5?

It sounds like you should be able to get a replacement; but they're probably going to give you a refurbished one (which don't come in white . . . yet).

3. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

4. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been putting it off until I buy my MacPro, because currently our only working computer is a chunky 1997 Windows 98 desktop that weighs at the least fifty pounds and is insanely slow, so it takes years to update. But I might try it anyways. This problem is killing me.

5. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

You haven't even tried Windows XP.....

Windows 95/98 is crap when I used it a few years back, XP is still a good operating system or you can go with windows 7 for a revamped modern interface.

6. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I use XP to sync my iPod but I have a nice windows 7 laptop.

7. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure you can go to an Apple store and update it there.

But even there it will take a little while.