Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irockgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Hello,

My iPod touch was recently put in the washing machine. My iPod is still usable, but there is still water under the screen. How would I be able to get rid of the water underneath the screen? Also my iPod plays the sound to a headphone even though there are no headphones connected. How can I fix this?

Thank you.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Hello,

My iPod touch was recently put in the washing machine. My iPod is still usable, but there is still water under the screen. How would I be able to get rid of the water underneath the screen? Also my iPod plays the sound to a headphone even though there are no headphones connected. How can I fix this?

Thank you.

:eek: My boss and I were just talking about cleaning an iPhone in the washing machine, weird timing lol.

Seriously though -- TURN IT OFF NOW. Put it in a bucket of rice, and close the lid, and leave it there for a couple three weeks. I dropped my iPod touch in a tub of water once, and this did the trick, but it took it a full three weeks to work right. But that after it was in water for less than two seconds -- being a washing machine likely soaked the internals more.

The problem off leaving it on is that if water migrates around in the internals, it could short something out, destroying, well anything, leaving you with a sad brick.

So please! Get some rice, let it dry out, and be patient. It should turn out ok! It's turning on now is a good sign.

Irockgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Thanks

Thanks, but do you know how to fix the speaker problem? It is not detecting the native speaker.

----------

Will any rice do? And do I have to cover it? I put it at the bottom of a huge container.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
It's not detecting the internal speaker most like because there is still mostuire on the headphone jack. For all intents and purposes the iPod thinks there is headphones in it.

Also, yes, any rice will do, just make sure it covers it all around. Bury the sucker! And make sure it is fully turned off, not just locked.

Also, don't be tempted to bring it back out to see if it works, that might risk it!

Irockgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Also, how long has it taken other people to get it fixed in the rice? What would happen if I take it out in the middle? I bought this iPod Touch two years ago, so what would happen if I took it back to apple?

Thank you to everyone that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.