Ipod touch 4g, Push Notification Availiable?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Manikstor, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Manikstor macrumors member

So i have a 1g which im going to get rid of soon and buy the latest touch. With my current ipod i go on aim a lot and usually stay sign on all day, so when my ipod goes on sleep mode or w/e it looses the wifi connection but after a couple hrs, i can still received msg's even if the ipod is on sleep mode this way i never miss a message. Sometimes i log on at home and leave for work (which doesn't have wifi) so im logged on all day but cannot see the messages instantly since i dont have wifi at work but then when i get home and it automatically connects to my network i get all the messages that were sent to me throught out the day. I was told that the ipod touch 4g doesn't have this that once it goes in sleep mode, theres no connection in and out therefor i won't be able to receive my aim messages even if im not connected to a wifi.

I hope i didnt make it confusing,

Thanks!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Push notifications only work if you have a network connection. If you are at home, connected to your WiFi network and put your iPod touch in sleep mode, push notifications will still work. You will still receive them as long as the app (AIM works) supports Push notifications. But if you move outside of your network and have no connection, there will be no push notifications at all.

3. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

right... if i move outside my network there wouldn't be any but once i get back would i still received the messages that were sent say earlier in the day even though i was logged on but have no wifi network. i just want to know if the 4g has it where i can leave the wifi network and still be connected to aim and later when i come back home and connect to my network find all my messages that were sent earlier during the day.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes. The 4G works just like the 1G in this respect.

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I don't know about AIM but I receive all messages on my yahoo messenger that come during the day when i come back from school (the school's network is locked). I think it depends on the AIM app and not the ipod.