iPod touch 4G reboots constantly

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nyboy1, May 19, 2013.

1. nyboy1, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

nyboy1 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I recently have gotten problems with my ipod touch 4G (32 GB, ios 6.1.3, EDIT :not jailbroken) , it reboots at random moments when in use. Just before rebooting it completely freezes. Sometimes it shows a blue, white or red screen, mostly just a black one(60% of the time i'd say). Afterwards it reboots( the apple logo on a black background) and sometimes it succeeds (slide to unlock screen is shown) and sometimes it doesn't and reboots again (black or colour screen and then again apple logo). Its can keep rebooting for long periods.
    Sometimes it also crashes when hooking it up to the PC.

Problems started 3 weeks ago, and after a couple days of trouble I manually putted the ipod in restore mode (showing the usb cable and connect to itunes) and restored it. Afterwords I got the "setup a new ipod screen" on itunes and asked itunes replace my backup. It seemed to have worked, I got a couple of days without crashing and then suddenly he crashed again. :(

Now what follows are some thoughts of what I believe to have noticed:

-it feels like he crashes mostly when doing difficult thing( pop-up's when browsing, multitasking). I'd say memory intensive stuff.
    -When the crashing begins, the more it crashes the less time there is between subsequent crashes (it gets less stable as crashing continuous).
    -When I left it to rest a couple of days and used it afterwards it took much longer for it to crash again. It seemed like to have repaired itself, but not for long... :confused:

I also took some pics of the strange boot and freeze screens (sorry for the bad quality)

red screen
    [​IMG]

screens shown just after crashing :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

freezing while staring google maps

[​IMG]

I really hope some of you guys could tell me whether this is a software problem (and how to solve it) or if it's a hardware thing and then I'll send it in for repair.

Thanks for reading this enormously long post :p

Jasper
    (Belgium)

2. pod5g macrumors regular

Are you jailbroken?

3. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

He said he was on iOS 6.1.3 so it's obviously not jailbroken (context is your friend)

I'd suggest doing a DFU restore and setting up as new, if that doesn't work take it to an Apple Store.

4. pod5g macrumors regular

There's a tethered JB for 6.1.3 on the iPod touch 4G. You can use redsn0w to JB the iPod. Research is your friend.

5. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Considering he restored it as well, there isn't much evidence to suggest its jailbroken, and I'm sure he would've had no problem mentioning that in his post, seeing that its so long as it is.

Yet again try doing a DFU restore, if that doesn't work than its more than likely a hardware problem.

6. nyboy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

indeed, not jailbroken at all, sorry I forgot to mention that. I will try the DFU mode. But afterwords putting my backup back is not a wise idea?

Thanks

Jasper

7. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'd suggest against it because the corrupted software that was causing the issue may be in the backup, and therefore be put back onto the phone when you restore from backup, which would just put you in the same situation as before :(

Good luck

8. nyboy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bad news here, i tried DFU, but ipod kept crashing when connecting to itunes prior to shut-down. So I restored as I did before and then did DFU restore. It worked and I got my ipod setup as a new ipod.
    Didn't work out do, it still keeps crashing, I'll be sending it in for repair.

Thanks for all the help !

Jasper