iPod touch Ipod Touch 4G upgrade + Jailbreak 4.2.1 to 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by n0fx, May 3, 2012.

1. n0fx macrumors newbie

I currently have an unjailbroken Ipod Touch with FW 4.2.1. I haven't done this in a while, so I'm not sure how to go about it. I haven't saved any SHSH blobs for this unit, since I just bought it used yesterday.

How do I go about upgrading it to 5.0.1, so that I can jailbreak it with Redsn0w v0.9.10b8b? I know 5.1 doesn't have an untethered jailbreak as of today?

Do I have to extract the SHSH with iFaith? I tried with TinyUmbrella but I know the window for signing anything under 5.1 is gone now, so it gave me errors that the time period is no longer available with the older FWs.

I see lots of guides that indicate to downgrade from 5.1 to 5.0.1 and jailbreak it, is that the way to go? Should I just upgrade it with the IPSW from apple to 5.1, get the SHSH with tinyumbrella, then downgrade it back to 5.0.1 and jailbreak it with Redsn0w v0.9.10b8b with the stitched IPSW with the 5.1 SHSH integrated with the 5.0.1 customer IPSW?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. NoName94 macrumors member

It's really simple.
    1. Download the iOS 5.0.1 FW for iPod touch 4G
    2. Restore with iTunes (Shift + Click) to 5.0.1
    3. Jailbreak with redsn0w
    4. Congratulation, you are now jailbroken :)
    Just save your Shsh blobs with redsn0w if you want to downgrade to iOS 4... But there's no advantages of doing this.

You are welcome.

3. JZTech101 macrumors member

JZTech101

Yeah uh... no! If you do this, iTunes will give you an error. Apple is no longer signing iOS 5.0.1. As of right now if you restore, you will be stuck on iOS 5.1.1. At which point you will need to wait for redsn0w to release an tethered jailbreak compatible with this firmware. Stay on iOS4.2.1 and Jailbreak Untethered using redsn0w.