iPod Touch 4g v iPad

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GMsrgr8, Sep 20, 2010.

1. GMsrgr8 macrumors newbie

So I've waited for some time for the new iPod Touch, but now it's here, and it's £250 for one with a decent memory capacity, I'm wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on why I shouldn't just pay the extra bit for an iPad? :confused: (Bigger screen for reading webpages/ebook/looking at pictures/watching movies)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It all boils down to what you want in a device. If you want a larger screen, this isn't a very hard decision.

3. kelving525 macrumors regular

Are you looking for portability or productivity?? If you're going for the on-the-go type of activities; the the iPod will be a better choice, but if you'll be at home most of the time, then the iPad will be better. Personally, I think the iPad is just too big to be carrying around the streets!

4. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well for me, the number one thing is reading ebooks and websites, which is why I considered a Kindle, but I do want to be able to have a portable device that I can surf the web/check e-mail/check iCal with. I would mostly use it at home, but not exclusively.

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Here's the deal. Do you want to be able to carry it with you easily? Do you prefer it to having a screen that's easier on the eyes?

6. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I do want to be able to carry it with me, but I'm only willing to use a smaller screen if it's O.K. to read on. I haven't seen what text is like on the "Retina Display." I have happily read stuff on a DS Lite screen (much lower resolution the Touch). Has anyone tried reading lots of text on a Touch and found it fine?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Lots of people have, just like lots of people find it straining. The only way you're going to be able to tell if it's ok for you is by going to a store and looking for yourself. Otherwise just get an iPad.

8. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think think this is probably the most sensible:) answer!

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I read on my iPhone 4. It is ok for short periods of time. But as others have suggested, go see one in person before you decide.

10. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Other option, as my mate said, is £109 Kindle + 8gb Touch = cheaper than iPad:D

11. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

or...you could buy both. I have an iPad 16gb wifi and a 32gb iPod touch 4g. Why? I love my iPad for home use and you can't get with casual gaming, email and surfing at home. My ASUS gaming rig feels like a slab o' concrete now and I loathe even picking it up. The iPod touch is a great portable device and allows me to take the experience with me at work. Plus you can't really workout with a 10in iPad and be productive.

12. pizz macrumors regular

Just wait a few more months when Apple releases the 7" iPad. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.

13. gta50419 macrumors 6502

they're really releasing a smaller ipad?
    if they make it 5" screen instead of 7 & thin enough to fit in your pocket comfortably then add a 8-12mp camera i'm buying asap:cool:

op- if you want to use a device in public buy a ipod, if you want to use it for home use buy a ipad.

14. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I wish!:D I can only justify about £450 max, so it's a straight choice between Apple products for me

15. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

iPod touch 4G

I would go for the new iPod touch 4G. It has a number of great updates from the previous generation. It has more usage and productivity on the go and it is certainly viewable. There are people who say, "The iPad is just a big iPod touch!" statement and may be true. It is more appropriate for use at home, on the couch or bed for simple use. It is entirely up to you and what you want and/or need.

16. ct95 macrumors regular

I've used iBooks on both 2g and 4g iPod touch, and it's usable on both. It's much better on 4g iPod touch due to clarity of the text. I think it really depends on your eyes - I am nearsighted and ok reading small print up close. However, if you're older with presbyopia, then you'll probably want the larger font of the iPad. The touch will display larger fonts, but you'll have a couple sentences per screen, and books will be 5000 pages long :p.

For me, I'd rather read small print in an extremely portable format. The iPad seems just too big for me to want to lug around.

17. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I just got the iPod touch. It's my first iOS device and I was also concerned about reading books and browsing the web on a small screen. I was also considering the amazon kindle.

Now that I've tried it I really like reading on the iPod touch especiLly for ebooks. The things that will annoy you about reading on an iPod touch will still annoy you on an iPad (IMHO). Getting the backlighting right is still important and you still don't have some physical cues such as how many pages are left which you take for granted when reading a physical book. I'm still really happy with my choice but I also knew the iPad wasn't in the running because I'm usually on the go.

18. iEmma macrumors newbie

I have an iPod touch and an iPad and I think if you want it for web browsing and reading in iBooks etc than the iPad is definitely the better option. I personally use my iPad all the time and its very handy for when you just want to quickly look up that thing on the internet without having to turn your computer on. I also use mine quite alot for typing and making spreadsheets etc.

:apple: http://www.squidoo.com/4th-generation-ipod-touch-review :apple:

19. PlanetarySoup macrumors member

PlanetarySoup

Definitely go with the iPad. I bought the new iTouch, but after a week of having it, I returned it......I use my iPad all the time, its great! Best purchase in a long while!

20. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Having used both, if you want a pocketable device, you want a Touch. If you want a good around the house device with good mobility, but not pocketable, you want an iPad.

21. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

like others have said, it's a matter of personal preference. the touch is great for playing games, checking occasional email and web browsing. i would not want to use it as a reader of any sort for an extended period of time. watching videos is okay, but obviously the ipad is much better suited to do this.

22. Alvesang macrumors regular

Alvesang

When I got my 3rd generation 64GB iPod touch it was my first Apple touch device and I used it daily, sometimes for several hours. It is a very versatile gadget and it's so much fun to use.

Then I got an iPad.

I used the iPod touch for browsing the internet, checking iTunes for new music, playing some RPGs, and fooling around with some music apps. The iPad does everything better for me. I now use the iPad to do all the stuff I formerly used the iPod for and furthermore handle most of my eMail and social network correspondence, online banking, eBook reading, and work related preparations with it. It is that much more comfortable to use. Oh, and I'm writing this on my iPad. My iPod touch has become a basic music and audiobook player. The 4g could have changed that to a small degree if it had a 3G option. Portable internet is just great.

In essence, think about what exactly you want to use it for. I now could easily live without my iPod touch. The iPad is a keeper.

23. sineplex macrumors 6502

Get a different reading app, nearly all of them are better than ibooks.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

One thing that annoys me about reading on the iPod touch is that the fonts are so small, or if an app allows me to increase the fonts to a big enough size to read comfortably, then only a few lines fit on the screen. This is, of course, not so on the iPad.

As for cues on how many pages are left, in all reading apps I've tried, a tap in the middle of page brings up the info. Perhaps not as immediate as a physical cue, but adequate, and IMO, justifiable tradeoff for being able to carry ALL my library with me everywhere I go.

25. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The latest Touch has high enough resolution that small text is relatively easy to read. And you can put both iBooks and the Kindle app on it for free. You'll need a Kindle account to make the Kindle app worth having though.

I can't talk myself into an iPad, and I'm not encumbered by price limits. After playing with a few other tablets, and even the iPad in stores, the size just isn't convenient to me.