Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cifang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
A few days ago, I upgraded my 3G model into a 4G model (it's white if that makes a difference), and I notice as soon as I use it, the retina display is gorgeous but at the same time the fps is staggering. So I download "Memory Manger Lite" on both, which I used to see how much free RAM I had on my 3G and I restarted both devices and cleared all cache/multitasking. I have around 254 MB RAM on the 3G and 219 is being used and 120 is available. It says 6% is inactive of that amount. On the 4G it has 248, 200 is being used and only 50-60 is available at a time completely fresh, 13% of that is inactive.

Both devices are running iOS5. Is this normal? My memory runs out a lot faster on the 4G and the FPS drops quite a bit more. I suspect it's the retina display that takes up the memory, but I haven't found anything on that yet...

Thanks.

thunderboltmac

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
sudo
how many apps are open???

how many apps are open on both devices? perhaps there are more apps open on the 4g? try closing all apps on both devices and see the difference.

cifang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Uh, I stated that I did everything to make them the same =( So no luck.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Odd its like that on my iPod touch 4. But free memory is wasted memory. Highest I've gotten is about 131mb on iOS 4.3.5. On iOS 5 highest was about 126mb.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Of course, the iPod touch uses an embedded (rather than discrete) graphics accelerator, so it definitely will "borrow" some of your system RAM to use as video RAM. And a larger display resolution will likely result in larger video RAM requirements.

As well, the iPod touch 4 always has to be ready to potentially receive an incoming Facetime call, whereas an iPod touch 3 cannot do Facetime and therefore wouldn't even need to load the Facetime-related system software.

There are likely other differences between the two devices which would reduce the idle memory requirements of one versus the other.

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
The screen resolution has doubled, which means there are 4 times as many pixels. Seems normal that it would not allow as much free ram. The 3G might have been the most powerful iPod touch based on the specs, same ram with a processor that uses the same structure as the A4, and it is only powering 25% as many pixels.

My opinion is specs based as I have never owned a 3g or 4g iPod touch.

cifang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
I disabled facetime to free up RAM, but still a little disappointed it's overall more sputtery than my 3G. The processor does do it's job though.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I disabled facetime to free up RAM, but still a little disappointed it's overall more sputtery than my 3G. The processor does do it's job though.

Disable All things for spotlight to if you don't use it. Speeds it up a tat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.