iPod Touch 4G vs. iPod Nano 6G for Girlfriend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maikeru-san, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Maikeru-san macrumors newbie

My girlfriend has hinted at wanting a new iPod for Christmas, and it is something I am taking into consideration. Her current model is an old 20GB iPod Classic 4G, which is on the fritz with hard drive errors.

Since I am considering getting her a new one, I wanted to ask for some advice. I had wanted to get her something close to the size of her 20GB, and the iPod Nano offers the 16GB model, which is close to that amount of space with a reasonable price tag. I keep reading many negative reviews on the new iPod Nano 6G, which makes me hesitate to move forward. I tried one at our local Apple Store, and I have to agree that it feels a bit clunky (my iPhone is my frame of reference for Multi-Touch).

There is also the iPod Touch, with an 8GB model for $40-$50 more and an obvious improvement in functionality over the Nano. The problem is that it is less than half the space of her old iPod Classic. She also already has a Droid phone, which carries similar features to the iPod Touch and the iPhone that she does use. I would be afraid that an iPod Touch (as cool as she says the iPod Touches are), might be redundant. She does not play games too much either. I don't want to sound cheap--I would consider the 32GB model for $300, which would resolve the storage space issue, but I think my girlfriend would kill me if she knew I broke the bank on her. :p

Given what I just said, I was wondering if I might seek an opinion. For her should I consider iPod Nano 6G 16GB? Or should I consider iPod Touch 4G 8GB?

Thank you! :D

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If she just wants it for music, perhaps while exercising, the 6Gen can't be beat for its size. Does she actually carry around the 20GB of music?? The new Nano has 8GB and 16GB of space. My kids both have the new Nanos and love them. As for the interface, you can't compare to the phone. The functionality of an iPod Nano doesn't warrant anything more elegant.

Pehaps posting her typical use of her Classic, and expectations for a new iPod would elicit better recs for you.

3. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I have a 6G Nano that I use at the gym and I love it. But if you're not sure about it, see if you can find a 5G Nano. I never owned one, but everyone seemed to love them. And I bet you can find one for cheaper than the 6G.

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

They have refurbisheded iPod nanos 16GB (5th generation) at the Apple.com refurbished store, for $149. I can't tell you which is "better," though... I'm wondering that myself.

5. Barnzee macrumors regular

I would go with the nano, it's an awesome device. great for working out or going on a run

6. brendu macrumors 68020

as others have said, the 5th gen nano, if you can find it (refurb or at a store with old stock) would be the best one you could do. She would be familiar with it and its just better than the new crap nano. Or you could go big and get the classic. Thats exactly like hers + TONS of storage she will never need, but its a great iPod and the battery in that thing lasts forever. I know its expensive but barely more than the touch.

I agree that since she has an android phone the touch would not have the appeal it may otherwise have for her, and might not be worth it.

Apple Refurb's These all ship in 24 hours so you could still get one delivered well in time for christmas.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

ask your girlfriend- best thing to do... BUT do it DISCREETLY. i mean take her to the apple store and have her look at them and tell her its for your grandmother or something.. think about the one she likes,, ask her friends if they know something. do the research before hand and then buy to be 100% sure.

now based on the info you have given us: i would say the 5th gen (nano) is perfect, however, your GF did say that the itouch was "cool" so a hidden desire (though unlikely with the Droid)...

well whatever you choose i hope you and your girlfriend are happy :)
    do let us know!