Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gunnersluver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I was wondering before Apple released iOS 5. Which firmware did the iPod Touch 4G have when they were being sold in stores like Best Buy etc.. Was it 4.1 or 4.3.5? Do they update them and then sell them or just keep them iOS 4.1 through authorized dealers? Because I was trying to find one with iOS 4.1 and I'm not sure if only eBay has them..

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I was wondering before Apple released iOS 5. Which firmware did the iPod Touch 4G have when they were being sold in stores like Best Buy etc.. Was it 4.1 or 4.3.5? Do they update them and then sell them or just keep them iOS 4.1 through authorized dealers? Because I was trying to find one with iOS 4.1 and I'm not sure if only eBay has them..

I would guess that, with a black one, you're going to get 4.x.x; but it's a complete shot in the dark. Why do you want the old 4.1? iOS 5.0 is awesome.

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
Best buy probably had somewhere between teh two, but closer to 4.3.5. Because they do not update the software on itouch. whatev apple sends them is how they sell it, and maybe add a couple extra $$. I believe this because i beleive that apple sends out teh new itouch with whatever is the newest software. So BestBuy would buy a bunch in Bulk and then sell it. So knowing how they buy i would say that it would have the newest software before iOS5, but it wont have iOS4.1 on it either. Maybe 4.2 or 4.3.

gunnersluver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I would guess that, with a black one, you're going to get 4.x.x; but it's a complete shot in the dark. Why do you want the old 4.1? iOS 5.0 is awesome.

Yea thats what I thought but I bought the white iPod touch from Best Buy and sadly iOS 5.0 worked pretty slow compared to iOS 4.

Best buy probably had somewhere between teh two, but closer to 4.3.5. Because they do not update the software on itouch. whatev apple sends them is how they sell it, and maybe add a couple extra $$. I believe this because i beleive that apple sends out teh new itouch with whatever is the newest software. So BestBuy would buy a bunch in Bulk and then sell it. So knowing how they buy i would say that it would have the newest software before iOS5, but it wont have iOS4.1 on it either. Maybe 4.2 or 4.3.

Yeah that was confusing I did ask Best Buy and they said they only carry the one with the new iOS now.

When It came out it had iOS 4.1. 4.2.1 was the best firmware is terms in stability.

I ended up buying one from eBay with iOS 4.2.1 the seller said he had 6 of them left on his shelves since January. I'm glad I can stick to that, it will be much faster than iOS 5.

I bought mine from a big UK Supermarket last week,

It had iOS 4.3.5 on it

Yea I guess Apple has to update their firmware before selling their products. Thanks.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I ended up buying one from eBay with iOS 4.2.1 the seller said he had 6 of them left on his shelves since January. I'm glad I can stick to that, it will be much faster than iOS 5.

I had no battery, memory, or any problems with 4.2.1. All my issues started in iOS 4.3

BrunoWill

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
I think you should buy the black one, the black may be some old and original ipod touchs. But the probability is low.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Yea thats what I thought but I bought the white iPod touch from Best Buy and sadly iOS 5.0 worked pretty slow compared to iOS 4.

Yeah that was confusing I did ask Best Buy and they said they only carry the one with the new iOS now.

Yea I guess Apple has to update their firmware before selling their products. Thanks.

I was thinking of getting a previous generation iPod Touch but this thread just turned me off to it. It seems if I get a previous gen iPod Touch there's a pretty good chance it will have ios 5 on it which I guess runs slow on the previous gen iPod Touch?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I was thinking of getting a previous generation iPod Touch but this thread just turned me off to it. It seems if I get a previous gen iPod Touch there's a pretty good chance it will have ios 5 on it which I guess runs slow on the previous gen iPod Touch?

No store sells the iPod Touch 3G anymore. Only the iPod Touch 4G. iOS 5 runs well on the iPod Touch 4G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.