Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmIDEADYet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Currently, I have an iPod Touch 4 that I am pleased with.
However, I am considering selling it in order to save up for the iPad 3 (will hopefully have enough money by then), and was wondering whether this was a worthy upgrade.

I know the iPad is in no way as portable as the iPod Touch, but I do have an iPod Nano 4G simply for listening to music.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Currently, I have an iPod Touch 4 that I am pleased with.
However, I am considering selling it in order to save up for the iPad 3 (will hopefully have enough money by then), and was wondering whether this was a worthy upgrade.

I know the iPad is in no way as portable as the iPod Touch, but I do have an iPod Nano 4G simply for listening to music.

You want to know if you should sell your iTouch now for a device that may be a year away with no idea what it have in it or it will be much better than the current iPad 2? I personally wouldn't give up a device I'm currently happy with for an item that at this point is nothing more than rumor, and a year away at that. We know there will be an iPad 3, but geez, we just got the iPad 2 on the market. Know what I mean?

AmIDEADYet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
You want to know if you should sell your iTouch now for a device that may be a year away with no idea what it have in it or it will be much better than the current iPad 2? I personally wouldn't give up a device I'm currently happy with for an item that at this point is nothing more than rumor, and a year away at that. We know there will be an iPad 3, but geez, we just got the iPad 2 on the market. Know what I mean?

Sorry, but I forgot to point out that I'm not super impressed with the current iPad 2.
Also, I don't have enough money to purchase it at the moment, which all points me to getting an iPad 3.

I don't want to have an iPod Touch lying around that will be out spec'd and outdated by that time.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
It all depends what you want to use it for.

What phone do you have?

I think the ipad and ipod/iphone are different. The ipad is larger, meaning you won't always have it with you.

What about an ipad 1? then get an ipad 3 when ever that is released?

AmIDEADYet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
dude. I'm rocking the 2gen iPod touch and a 2gen iPod nano

What I mean is if I wait until the release of the iPad 3 the iPT4 will lose value.

It all depends what you want to use it for.

What phone do you have?

I think the ipad and ipod/iphone are different. The ipad is larger, meaning you won't always have it with you.

What about an ipad 1? then get an ipad 3 when ever that is released?

I have a simple touchscreen Samsung phone that i use solely for making calls and texting.

I was also considering the first iPad since I've been seeing some great deals, but it really doesn't look like it'll be in good standing even in the near future.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I've had both iPads and numerous older Touches and I just got a 4G Touch, best Touch ever! It bests any iPad in portability and screen resolution. The screen resolution is amazing. This was my biggest wish for iPad2, screen resolution improvement...it didn't happen.

The iPads are nice but nowhere near as portable as Touch, esp outside the home. I use the 3G feature in the iPad, which Touch will probably never have.
A new Touch5 will be out way before iPad3 even tho iPhone5 has been pushed back to Fall and probably Touch is on a later cycle too.
If I had to choose one over the other I choose iPad. I have an older iPhone (for calls but no data plan) I can use for portable music etc.
rambling I guess. hard to answer for you.

It really depends on you and your needs.

AmIDEADYet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
It's not my first.
My father uses my last generation iPT2g

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.