iPod Touch 4th Gen 32gb Non-Functioning Camera

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by toasty hoodie, Aug 27, 2012.

1. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Hey everyone. I traded for an iPod touch yesterday. I reset all settings and media, and started fresh. However the camera didn't work. The Facetime camera turns on the front camera, but it freezes up when you change it to the rear camera.

After I saw this, I restored the device with a fresh iOS install and set up as new.

Any idea what's causing this? Everything else works fine, and obviously, I don't know the history of the device, so I can't really know what happened to it.

Thanks.

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

it may have been jailbroken at some point and someone messed with the settings. or maybe the camera connection is loose inside. i would take it to a genius bar

3. jefbond macrumors member

There's a problem with the actual hardware of the camera. There's nothing you can do software-wise to fix it in this situation. Apple does not take apart iPods to fix them, they just replace them. Typically it's about half of the retail cost of the device. Most likely you're looking at $149 plus tax to get it replaced.

Make a genius bar appointment and take it in. They will give you all your options.

4. toasty hoodie thread starter macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Could I just look on ifixit, and open it myself? I'm not really concerned about the device as,I got it for almost nothing. It's only for my car for when the ip5 is released.