iPod touch 4th Gen Non-Existant Black Levels

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by whocaresit, Sep 27, 2010.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

iPod touch 4th Gen is incapable of displaying black or near-black colors. There are no blacks.. only grays :mad:

Screen is amazing but the Black levels are so pitifuly disappointing, especially while viewing videos :(

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seems exactly the same as every other touch...

3. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Angling for some more time in the time out corner huh?

P.S. No one cares, and I especially don't. Beautiful screen, just don't run Photoshop on it. ;)

4. jon3543 macrumors 6502

Yep. Lousy viewing angles, too. It is easier to read than earlier generations, though.

5. unb3k4nn7 macrumors newbie

You can either have great black levels or being able to read it outside in the sunlight. Both is very expensive afaik, the ipod touch isn't.

Since the Ipod Touch is a portable device i choose being able to read in the sun over blacklevels anytime.

6. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

That's stupid, because you can have both. It's just TN panel used in iPod touches so weak it's unable to produce decent blacks (viewing angles is another story, and not for this topic). If they included an IPS screen, there would be great blacks and viewing angles at the same time.

And I agree - iPdo touch 4gen sucks at displaying blacks, even head-on. There's no blacks at all, there's just milky-washed-out greys.

7. unb3k4nn7 macrumors newbie

Read again. I said it's too expensive. The Ipod Touch isn't expensive. Do you get the connection? If Apple would have been able to include a display that has good black levels and a good brightness for the same price they would have.

I guess most people don't really care that much about the black levels. But imagine how many people would be raging in this forum about not being able to read on the touch outside.

8. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Why do you think it's too expensive? Do you know the dofference in price between TN and IPS matrixes? If so, give us the prices and then we'll discuss wheter it's too expensive or not. In my opinion the price difference shouln't be bigger than a few dollars at most. So no, I don't think it would be too expensive for Apple. In fact, the price remains the same each year, but the production cost is reduced, so Apple is taking bigger margin profits every year. So no, I don't see any other reason for not including IPS LCD to iPd touch 4gen, other than Apple's greediness.

I don't get why it would be impossible or harder to read outdoor on IPS screen... Raadibility outside has nothing to do with LCD technology, but the reflective layer covered on the screen.

9. nastebu macrumors 6502

I never understand how you can accuse a corporation of greediness. Corporations exist to make profits, not to subsidize our buying sprees. It's like accusing a tree of using too much carbon-dioxide.

And prices do change based on more than production cost. Supply and demand influence price, and the exchange rate influences price. This year the dollar has slipped quite low against, for example, the yen, and so prices for things bought in Asia are much higher.

I'm not saying that's why Apple chose the screen they did. I'm just saying it's not so simple as you imply.

10. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

You are incorrect. the BB Storm has great black levels and is far more readable in bright sunlight than the touch and just about every cell phone out there.