iPod Touch 4th Gen Not The Same Oleophobic Coating As iPhones and iPads?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Statusnone88, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I own an iPhone 4, an iPad, and just bought my girlfriend an iPod Touch. I own a couple of high quality microfiber cloths that I've been using for a while and I give them a good cleaning every week. Now I can use my iPhone or my iPad all day long, then come home and give it a nice wipe down and the screens will look perfectly clean. But it seems with her iPod Touch no matter how much I try and wipe the smudges, oil, etc. from the screen, they don't ever fully come off.

This is the first iPod Touch in our house so I'm wondering if this is something that's been the case with all iPod Touches since the dawn of them, or if anyone else that owns more than 1 Apple touch device is noticing this problem also.

I'm not trying to be a clean freak with it, but at the end of the day it's nice to give them a nice wipe down and this thing just will NOT get clean.

Other than that she loves it!

2. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

No, unfortunately it doesn't have the coating. You could use a screen protector which reduces the finger prints.

3. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Oh damn man. Well I appreciate the quick response.

I think I'll order her some SGP or PS screen protectors, better to have them on there anyway.

Thanks again.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I think maybe you could get a better microfiber cloth, or perhaps clean the one you have. I am able to quickly wipe my iPod touch screen crystal clear after a few wipes. I have two types of generic Staples brands microfiber cloths, and they both do an excellent job. I used to used the Apple one I got with my MacBook Pro, but find that since it's so small, it needs to be cleaned often, or it ends up just smearing the grease around instead of removing it.

5. steve1711 macrumors newbie

Agree with microfibre cloths - just a quick wipe and screen is spotless. I have noticed that the 4G gets a lot more fingerprints than the 3G.

6. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Yeah, these cloths I use I clean often but they are getting old. I think I'll go grab some new ones from Staples. Thanks for the recommendation.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Cool. I gotta agree though these screens are a pain in the ass with the fingerprints. I owned an iPhone 4 for about a week, and that was a dream compared to this. I still wiped it everyday, but with the iPhone, I didn't really have to. With the touch, I wipe it down several times a day.

8. kellylummus macrumors newbie

It is obvious that the i Pad is larger than the i Pod touch 4th Generation and the i Phone 4. However, one could easily mistake the i Phone 4 and i Pod touch 4th Generation with just a passing glance, and there are a variety of differences that merit close evaluation for all three devices. There are different contractual requirements as well....

9. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Yeah. Honestly I just ordered some SGP Oleophobic screen protectors for the iPod so it should be fine after those arrive. You still get finger prints but they are so easy to wipe off.